The Color and Magic of the New Year Celebration in Keelung (Taipei), Taiwan


Advertisement
Taiwan's flag
Asia » Taiwan » Keelung
February 23rd 2024
Published: February 26th 2024
Edit Blog Post

Tour Day 137, Cruise Day 35 – "The Best of Taipei" Shore Excursion – Keelung (Taipei), Taiwan – Take in Taiwan's incredible history with this visit to some of Taipei's most extraordinary sights. Your journey commences with a relaxing drive from Keelung City, Taiwan's second-largest port, to the slopes of Qing Mountain. Here you will visit the Martyrs' Shrine -- a stately monument constructed in 1969 to honor the 330,000 brave men who sacrificed their lives in key battles. With a style reminiscent of Beijing's Taihe Dian Imperial Palace, this stunning shrine is surrounded by more than eight acres of grass and features a bright red main gate guarded by white-uniformed officers.

Back on the road, head through the bustling city of Taipei. Explore the Lungshan Temple, built during the Ching dynasty and devoted to worshipping the Goddess of Mercy. Marvel at the temple's beautifully-crafted wooden doors, stone and bronze beams, and dragon-shaped poles.

Enjoy a feast for the senses at the palatial Grand Hotel, built in 1952 in the decadent style of classic Chinese architecture. Ronald Reagan and Dwight D. Eisenhower both stayed here. Today it's your turn to relax and savor the lunch buffet of more than 100 dishes that combines Chinese, Western, and Japanese delicacies to attract your taste bud. Open-style kitchen allows diners to enjoy fresh and diverse foods and appreciate cooking skills of chef at the same time.

At the National Palace Museum, take in one of the world's largest collections of ancient Chinese objects and art. Spanning more than 8,000 years, the impressive collection includes bronze, paintings, jade, ceramics, and precious objects amassed by emperors from the Sung, Yuan, Ming and Qing dynasties.

Next, head to Chiang Kai-Shek Memorial Hall -- a regal monument paying tribute to the former President. With its brilliant blue glazed-tile roof, gold apex, white marble and natural red cypress ceiling, the shrine is designed to convey sacredness, solemnity, hospitality and peace. Inside, discover valuable artifacts related to the late president's life, including photographs, cars and historical documents.

You will stop at Taipei 101 for photos before returning to the ship.

Notes:

Wear comfortable walking shoes.


Additional photos below
Photos: 57, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



1st March 2024
"The Best of Taipei" Shore Excursion – Keelung (Taipei), Taiwan

National Revolutionary Martyrs' Shrine – Changing of the Guard
Those Guards look to be pretty tall. I wonder what the specifications they have to meet to get that position. Like Arlington Guards.

Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.0253s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb