Day one of the Sri Lanka adventure


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Western Province » Colombo
September 2nd 2017
Published: September 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Well after a really hectic couple of weeks we were finally on our way for another adventure with travel buddies, Chris (or Crice as he is know in Nepal) and Donna.
Drive to the airport and checkin departure etc uneventful and by midnight we're safely belted into our seats and off to Singapore. Skipped dinner. Eleven, somewhat uncomfortable, hours with a reasonable sleep for me and practically none for dear Marie and we arrive for a short stopover. During the flight both I and Chris showed signs of nose/throat infections so that started a couple of days of us harassing pharmacists for drugs without the requisite prescriptions(more developments to come). Alas no antibiotics available at Changi but Chris did get some nasal spray, albeit so expensive he's going to keep it in room safes for the duration of the trip. Back on a plane to Colombo and another uneventful flight landing on Colombo at about 10.30am. Bags took forever to arrive and just as we started to become resigned to them not having made the journey out they came. Cab to the Lake Lodge in Colpetty where we have two nights. Colombo it would seem has few attractions but one of them is the area Fort. After a wander around there we were a bit underwhelmed, a feeling that only grew when it became apparent that they do not serve alcohol between 2.00 and 5.00 pm. So hot, tired, colds and sore throats and underwhelmed by the surroundings it had all the ingredients for people to become tetchy. McVet however rose to the occasion and found a bar willing to break the law. Two beers and two shandies later and good humour was restored. Chris did however mention his having left Donna's sleep pills on the plane, this leading to a further round of pharmacy visits trying to get drugs without prescriptions. Early dinner at a highly recommended restaurant a short tuk tuk ride from Fort. Food was ok although a bit spiced for some. The ambience was a bit cold war East German .We (I actually) did over order and we had enough food for about ten. Tested Uber Colombo going home and if you forgive the wait a good option for travel around town, prices were cheaper than tuktuk for the same journey and they carry four.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.035s; cc: 9; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0646s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb