Kandy to Colombo


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Western Province » Colombo
May 3rd 2006
Published: August 4th 2006
Edit Blog Post

Well after missing our express train from Kandy to Colombo, and then standing on the platform watching the next train go past in slow motion as we didn't think it was our train, we eventually managed to jump on a bus... Oh the joys, to be fair the bus was air conditioned and pretty clean but the music was shattering on delicate ears...
A few hours later and we're dumped off at the bus station in Colombo so after a few taxi driver haggles later we’re hurtling down Galle road to South Colombo and the Mount Lavinia Hotel for our last night in Sri Lanka.
Wow - we arrive and it's pretty posh, I don’t see too many backpacks put it that way. Our room matches the rest of the hotel and we're not disappointed as so many times we've checked into what seems like a great hotel only to be shown a pit of a room - not this time. However guess what, It's a public holiday again and there's no alcohol in the whole city - there goes the idea of going out with a bang... However after talking to a few other Brits we discover there is a secret bar for foreign guests so all is not lost - and there's always the mini-bar. The hotel continues to impress with a great pool with a really relaxed atmosphere and wonderful views down the beach all the way to Colombo city itself - not a bad gaff for our last night indeed, backpacking in style.
Overall from arriving in Sri Lanka about 4 weeks ago and travelling the amazing country from riding elephants to meeting old friends from India, there is still so much we haven't seen so I think we will both be back to this wonderful country in the not so distant future. Sri Lanka - thank you
Now bring on Dubai...



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.147s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 57; dbt: 0.0677s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb