Countryside to Capital!


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Western Province » Colombo
March 17th 2006
Published: March 17th 2006
Edit Blog Post

EllaEllaElla

View from Little Adam's peak
Hello!
We had an amazing time in Ella, the countryside was really beautiful, lush green hills and valleys. It would have been even better if Fran hadnt made me climb up the hills! Only Joking...We did two climbs, one up to 'little Adams Peak' and the next day to 'Ella Rock' which was less successful. We had to walk along the trainlines for about 2 k (not in the Quentin Blake railway safety book kiddies!) and then started up the hill through the tea plantations. only we got quite lost and couldnt find a path! Eventually we spotted some locals and followed them up and reached the peak. Only to find the top entirely shrouded in cloud. It was really spooky, almost like the Hill was steaming. So all that climbing was so worth the view, Er hum, and the massive football sized blisters! Im sure it will make me a better person, well fitter if nothing else!

After Ella we boarded a bus to make our way to Ratnapura, famous for its Gem markets. It would have been fascinatingno doubt had we not gone on poya day when EVERYTHING was closed, we could barely buy a bottle of water!
EllaEllaElla

Misty view from Ella Rock
Oh well. We set off to Colombo the next day and made our way to our very nice lady who lives miles away from the city centre, but her massive breakfasts were worth it! We have spent two days soaking up the sights and avoiding the rubbish in Colombo, I even bought a snake demon mask, thought I might wear it to the wedding... maybe not! We are now waiting to fly to Singapore tonight!

I have totally fallen in love with the people in Sri Lanka, so different to India, everyone is so helpful and kind and interested in us we have had an amazing three weeks. Will have to see how Malaysia compares!

Lots of love

Sarah

Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0245s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb