Leaving Sri Lanka...


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Western Province » Colombo
February 11th 2006
Published: February 11th 2006
Edit Blog Post

We made it to the top of the mountain!We made it to the top of the mountain!We made it to the top of the mountain!

Its called worlds end. If you look over the edge, youll know why!
Well its been and interesting three weeks, but now tis time to move on...

But before we do that, we'd better update you on wot we've been up to for the last week, as we have been so busy and too knackered to write!!!

It turns out that this tour round Sri Lanka was a lot more physically challenging than we'd first anticipated. Steve was fine of course, dont know where he gets the energy, but Rozi was flagging a little climbing hills in 30 degree heat, having had virtually no sleep the night before thanks to geckos. So glad we dont have them at home. They look cute, but believe me they are noisy!!!

We did a 2 day hike up in the highlands in the middle of the island around a national park and tea plantations. It was very picturesque, but hard work, especially getting up at 5.30 to get hiking before the sun got too hot. After hiking for 2 days, suffering leeches and cut knees, we were all knackered!!!
So the day after that we took it gently with a 30 km canoe mission along a completley still river with no current at all, so paddling was really hard work!!! To soothe our tired limbs we camped outside for the night with cold showers and barking dogs.
And to completley finish us off we set off at 8am the next day for a 30km bike ride. And I thought climbing hills to look at forts and temples was bad!

Shattered is not the word! I was ready to keel over and die. All this would have been fine if it hadnt been 30degrees the whole time and we werent sweating our own bodyweight!!!

But it was still a nice and different way to see the country. Local people watching us tramp past with our rucksacks or zoom past on our bikes, thinking - why??? They must think all tourists are insane!

After all our exertions though, we were rewarded with a final couple of days at the beach! thank god! We had a well deserved rest and are now (almost) ready for the next trip...Thailand, here we come!

Hope youre all well,

Rozi and Steve
xxx



Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Lets all walk along the tracksLets all walk along the tracks
Lets all walk along the tracks

They all do it. Apparently its allowed!
Kids at schoolKids at school
Kids at school

The little uniforms are soo cute!


Tot: 0.031s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0151s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb