MIRISSA & GALLE


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Southern Province » Galle
March 7th 2019
Published: March 8th 2019
Edit Blog Post

After a beautiful red sunset last night we had a 2 hour electrical storm with heavy rain overnight, the first for the tour. Fortunately our riding finished yesterday as traffic conditions are now too chaotic. Mirissa was a lovely beach break to wander around despite the overcast but humid conditions. Like all the coastal towns in the south Mirissa is now undergoing rapid tourist development but some traditional beach shacks remain .

Mid afternoon we had a short drive to Galle exploring the impressive World Heritage listed Dutch colonial town ending with a group dinner & return to Mirissa. The towns Dutch fort still has extensive walls and ramparts and many old buildings that survived the 2004 tsunami. We walked around the ramparts & fort late in the afternoon to avoid the baking midday sun and then catch the setting sun which unfortunately was partly obscured by clouds.

Galle was at its peak when the port was the second most important facility for the Dutch East India co, after Batavia, when that coy was one of the most profitable in its time when nutmeg & other spices were more valuable than gold.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.052s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 27; dbt: 0.0336s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb