December 2009


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » North Western Province » Kurunegala
December 24th 2009
Published: December 24th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Christmas Eve! We hear that in some parts of England the temperatures are well below freezing. Here it is a little different. However, even in the tropical climate there are Christmas trees with flashing lights, Santa hats - and wonderful Christmas cribs.

November saw the close of the four month programme during which time, I was able to visit many churches and parishes in the Kurunegala Diocese. This has been a truly amazing time, both challenging and fruitful - and culminating in the opening of the Kurunegala Diocese Religious Education Resource Centre in the Bishop Lakshman Wickremesinghe Centre in the Cathedral Compound. This will provide a useful base for future work.


November also saw the ordinations of three deacons to the priesthood and two layworkers to the diaconate. The service took place at Trinity College Chapel Kandy. A truly memorable occasion.This was also the venue for a Candlelit Service of 9 lessons and carols on the second Sunday of Advent.
The schools closed for the year around 3 December, although a number of the Kandy Schools were already closed owing to the outbreak of swine fever here. A number of children have died. The new school year begins in January, unlike our September beginning.

The final week of term saw the Christmas concerts . These programmes have a similar shape . At the beginning, there are dances which combine traditional Sri Lankan culture with the stories as we know them. Then there are songs by others, including adult teachers, and leaders of the community. Finally, in comes Santa with mask, and gloves, a crook type stick and bag of sweets and other toys. He is truly the central in this concert, the atmosphere relaxes, Santa comes , dances, jokes, throws sweets to the children, and gives out the prizes. A community event, celebrated in Churches, Pre-schools, Children's Care Homes .

Politically, the country is gearing up to Parliamentary and Presidential elections in January. President Mahinda Rajapakse and the parties assciated with his Government are probably still the favourite and you can read more about his campaign on his website. A rival has appeared in the shape of retired General Fonseka. We shall see how things develop. The IDP's were release from the camps on December 1st and are making their way home or to new homes. Life is still very hard for them, and we hold them in our prayers this Christmastide.

There will be changes too here in the Diocese of Kurunegala as Bishop Kumara retires on 31st December after 9 years in office. He will be much missed.
All best wishes, blessings, prayers for Christmas and the New Year.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.054s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0319s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb