The Conflict Feels Closer to Home


Advertisement
Published: May 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We knew Sri Lanka was in the middle of a civil conflict but from the UK when you look on the map and read the news reports it seemed to happening just in one remote corner of the island. The newspapers here play down the conflict and it has been very difficult to get any real idea of what is happening. In particular they play down any human tragedy and the expulsion of the Channel 4 journalist a few days ago shows just how sensitive the government is to criticism. In the last few days the reality of the conflict has come much closer to us. Large numbers of civilian casualties from the refugee camp at Vavuniya have been evacuated to the hospital here in Kurunegala and other hospitals close to us in Kandy and Kegalle. Their arrival was completely unexpected and unplanned. The hospitals have insufficient beds, staff, medicines and their infrastructure is not designed to cope with such a huge sudden influx of patients. They are struggling just to provide food and water. The refugees/patients have arrived with nothing, they have only the clothing they are wearing, no money, no toiletries and many of them are separated from families and desperate to send messages and receive news of their loved ones.
At the moment the Church appears to be the only organization trying to offer practical support. I spent yesterday afternoon writing and sending out urgent appeal letters to international organizations and local parishioners. This afternoon I am off (with the aid of an interpreter) to put some pressure on a local pharmacy to supply painkillers and other essential items on credit.
And then we will wait to see what response comes back from my begging letters.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.119s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 73; dbt: 0.0513s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb