Stone Bridge


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » North Central Province » Mihintale
January 18th 2011
Published: January 31st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Stone BridgeStone BridgeStone Bridge

Stone Bridge is located close to the Twin Ponds The first bridge spans the bed of where the Yoda Ela was, and a little further on, the ruins of the second and more impressive bridge can be seen where stone slabs are laid across rows of three stone pillars.
I was awestruck by the second site of what is known as the stone bridge constructed three thousand years ago. A Lego like construction of stone slabs formed a roadway similar to the Roman roads. It formed a bridge at one end and half a mile further it appeared once again up the river. An ancient and very large tree stood in its way clearly showing that the bridge was in fact older than the tree. Between the two sites is more of the road to be excavated and displayed the likes of the Hayden’s Wall in Scotland and yet no tourists’ visit this site whilst the villagers take its presence for granted. (Many pictures attached)


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement



14th February 2011

Nice post on Mihintale!
Nice read on the Mihintale stone bridge, I would love to have you feature a photo memory on my Sri Lanka travel blog? I also feature other things to do in Sri Lanka and an insight into our history and culture, please visit my independent Sri Lanka travel blog: discovering-serendipity.com to learn more!
25th February 2011

Discovering Serendipity
Hi Lasith, Thank you and yes! I would love to. Will go and see the website and do the needful. Kindly Laki

Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 12; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0607s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb