Train to Anuradhapura


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » North Central Province » Anuradhapura
September 4th 2017
Published: September 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Donna's lost her voice, good because she can't chastise Chris and I for misdemeanours, bad because we no longer have the benefit of her wisdom as part of the decision making. With an effort she can whisper which effectively means her and I are totally incommunicado as whispers don't work with my hearing. Granola with buffalo curd for breakfast and can totally recommend buffalo curd, smooth, not overly sour and must be good for you?? Off to the train station and onto the train all of which went well. Seats in second class which was not full despite the third class wagon being full to the point of overflow. Train was great, doors open and you can lean out to take photos, obviously being careful to not be hit by a train going the other way or a bridge buttress etc. Food and drink vendors moving through wagons and at stops jumping between trains. Got to Anuradhapura after about four hours and sorted a van driver to take us to the Secret Sanctuary Resort. A few stories in this! The first being the van driver who offered to take us on a tour the next day. We took his card and said we'll call him if we needed him, now watch this space, tomorrow's entry has the conclusion of this story! Now turning attention to the resort. A complete review is available on Trip Advisor but suffice to say the use of the word resort in the name is a misuse, it was really a small guest house of pretty minimal standard, not overly clean and staffed by a family and others all of whom appeared to have the view that if you ignored the visitors that might go away. Went for a walk to find a beer pre dinner and after a couple of missteps ended up on a couple of tuktuks and back in a really dingy small local eatery/bar. We may well have been the first white folks to have stepped across the threshold of this place. Went to a small guest house restaurant (Little Paradise) for dinner, fabulous. No menu just a selection of curry and accompaniments. The highlight again was buffalo curd this time with honey. The owner was really helpful regarding what to visit in the area and times etc. He organised for us a van and driver for the next day to visit the Sacred City ruins.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.079s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0483s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb