Travel to Sigiriya


Advertisement
Sri Lanka's flag
Asia » Sri Lanka » Central Province » Sigiriya
September 6th 2017
Published: September 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Decided to move on from Anuradhapura and go to Sigiriya given the "resort"was not really doing it for us and we'd exhausted the tourist highlights.

Got a van and this time driver and co-driver, both looked a like Sri Lankan wide boys complete with bling, tats and a big as amp and subwoofer in the back of the van. Interesting journey, as we left Anuradhapura stopped at a roadside alter and the made a donation/offering for a safe trip, then duly blessed drove like crazy.

We did come to a quick halt at one stage when a lizard walked in front of the van and waited for the lizard to make his/her leisurely way across the road. Although there was little concern for human life or potential injury apparently killing animals is a big no no.

Arriving in Sigiriya the accomodation looked fabulous, villas around a courtyard area with a pooll in the middle. Took us all of ten minutes to hit the pool.

Sigiriya is famous for the Lion Rock which Sri Lankans say is the eighth wonder of the world (seems every country has one or two eighth wonders!). It is very spectacular a large rock rising from a relatively flat area with the remnants of an ancient palace built on top. Plan to climb it very early tomorrow before it gets too hot.

While we were waiting for the tuk tuks to go to dinner joined three local kids in a game of cricket on the dirt road outside the hotel. A lot of fun even though we had language in common except a love of cricket!!

Nice dinner at a small restaurant in Sigiriya. We asked for beer and they got some in for us but insisted we not put the bottles on the table so it couldn't be seen by police who might be passing by.

Had our first kotthu ( rotti chopped and fried with meat and vegetables) which may well become the go to dish here, fabulous.

As an aside we are all still coughing and snuffling, no sign recovery yet.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Marie and JohnMarie and John
Marie and John

Need to work on the facial expression when doing selfies, always look constipated!


Tot: 0.156s; Tpl: 0.02s; cc: 12; qc: 42; dbt: 0.1014s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb