Jeju Island


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea
July 21st 2004
Published: July 21st 2004
Edit Blog Post

Monday's are a real bad day to travel in South Korea if you are a tourist. Almost none of the touristy things run or are closed. It seems that monday is back to work day in South Korea. This is partly the problem we had when Jeonga and me arrived on Sunday in Mokpo to catch a ferry to Jeju island. Luckily, one of the three ferry services from Mokpo going to Jeju Si had one ferry leaving monday, 15:00. This meant one night in the dodgiest little Minbak i've ever seen (But only $12AUD/night).
  For all of you looking to travel to South Korea and use a bank card from a foreign bank, you will find that your card will not work in most atms here. The only sure place to find an atm that will work is at a branch of the Korean Star Bank. KStar as it's known here. And then you will have to pic the one atm that is a bit different to the others, it usually wont be marked. So if you keep getting "Problem with your bank account" (In Korean) as a result instead of heaps of 10,000 notes, then you are using the wrong machine.
 Jeju island is a bit like Tasmania, it's it's own state of South Korea off the Southern coast of the country. However, in this case we are talking the Northern part of the world. So Jeju se is actually the hottest part of the South Korea, not the coldest. I can't add pictures from this computer booth, but when I do I think you'll get the picture about just how nice this place really is. The sunset on our way into Jeju Si on the ferry was one of the best i've ever seen.
 We found a good motel, it was really new, and only $20 per night. The next day happened to be a real hot day according to Jeju standards, it was over 40 in Japan. So what did I end up doing?? I climbed the highest mountain in South Korea, that's what. The only problem we had was that we ran out of water even before we had reached the summit, then we decided to go back down a different way to which we had come up... meaning that there was no water to be found all the way to the bottom (7.9Km of real hard hiking). There was millions of flies, grasshoppers, and 2 snakes)
  None of us were in any condition to walk properly yesterday, and we're real sore today...
 
Ok, about to run out of time.
will. update this soon.
 

Advertisement



Tot: 0.084s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0437s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb