Seoul at last!


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea
July 31st 2016
Published: July 31st 2016
Edit Blog Post

Dad on plane to KoreaDad on plane to KoreaDad on plane to Korea

Remember 1972 trip and missing mom.
Toronto to Vancouver to Incheon airport in Seoul = 19 hours of travel (not including the 4a wakeup to get to the airport). Loooong day of planes, trains and automobiles.

Dark side of travel: "Dank" toenails (Jon's seatmate to his right on plane), rude people pushing and shoving (Sophia's seatmate behind her on plane), and blood and gore (lady behind Robb got her toe gashed by cart requiring at least one extra large bandaid!).

Light side of travel: My dad's face lighting up when he saw Korea and had memories coming back about his leaving in 1972 to bring his 7 month old pregnant wife and 2 daughters with him to Canada. Mom would have been thrilled to do this trip. We are all holding her dear and weaving her expressions and gestures as we experience Korea. She would have been proud of RoJoSo taking about a dozen cans of pop/juice from the Air Canada lounge - she loved deals!

We arrived in Seoul at 2p local time. Everything is in Korean!! Fortunately, dad can speak Korean. Except when he started speaking English to the hotel security guard because he forgot where he was 😊 Weather is hot
Dad at dinnerDad at dinnerDad at dinner

Yummy denjangjigae (soybean paste soup - may not sound delicious but trust me, it is absolutely a fantastic Korean soup!)
and humid, but so far similar to what we have in Toronto. All indicators are though that we are heading into the hottest period of the summer with highs of 40C expected.

Rested for a couple of hours and then walked around the neighbourhood. Many restaurants close at 6p on Sundays it seems, but we managed to find a few that were still opened. It was a really good kalbi restaurant. Robb and Jonathan had their fill of kalbi. Dad had denjajigae. Ann had some of everything. And Sophie had a little mouthful because she was full from the can of Pringles that she had before dinner.

We are all tired and full and ready for proper sleep in a proper bed. Tomorrow we start sightseeing!


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement

Robb and JonRobb and Jon
Robb and Jon

Toasting beer and coke
Robb and Jon againRobb and Jon again
Robb and Jon again

Toasting meat!
FatherFather
Father

and his beer


31st July 2016

We have beer in Canada
Does it taste "lighter" when it's in paper form Robb?
2nd August 2016

Denjangjigae
Love this soup!!! I make it at home but I can imagine how fabulous it is in Korea. So happy for you guys to experience this with your dad! I'll bet your mom is smiling down on all of you right now. We're in for another hot week of 40+ with the humidity here as well. Enjoy!!!
5th August 2016

HEY GUYS!!
Photos are so great, glad you are there with Dad. Please give him hugs for us. Thinking of you, safe travels!!! XOXOXO

Tot: 0.038s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0191s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb