Temples and more festivals


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea
October 6th 2008
Published: October 6th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Bulguksa was amazing, with the buildings brighty painted. The hike up to Seokguram grotto from Bulguksa was all uphill, but hey it'll keep my fitness up 😉 Arrived during prayers which was a great exprerience with much bell ringing and chanting.

Next day it was to Daegu and Haeinsa. As I climbed the steep stone stairs towards the brightly decorated gates there was a deep sounding drum being beaten. Hmm so very Indiana Jones and temple of doom hehe. As I walked through th gates there were some fierce looking sentries painted on the walls, dont want to mess with them! Again reached the temple at prayer time and this time there are monks playing a large drum and then they ring a large bell. so large I can feel the air vibrate each time it is rung. Up some more stone steps and through another gate and there is a huge temple with murals of Buddah on the side, and huge gold buddah inside. Up another level are some plain wooden buildings containing Tripitaka Koreana (no not the monkey magic kind!), budhist scripts. They can be seen through slatted windows and inside are shelves floor to ceiling full of wood blocks.

Next was onto Cheonan and a trip to the huge monument at Independence hall. To see the torture and genocide of Korean's (especially pro-independence activists) during the Japanese Emperial ocupation is quite moving. To maintain thier own language and culture during this oppression and to fight for independence aginst such a strong force demonstrates the strong spirit of Koreans.

Today was on to Gonju and a walk ontop of the Gongsanseong fortress wall. The Baekje festival is in full swing with giant lanterns floating in the midle of the river. I found a nice resturant serving Bulgokki in a broth with noodles. It is soo yummy. Will have to make the most of it while Im over here.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.086s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0511s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb