Lotus Lantern Festival


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Seoul » Jongno-gu » Insadong
May 7th 2011
Published: July 21st 2011
Edit Blog Post

Buddha's Birthday celebration began Thursday May 5th lasting an entire week. Over the weekend the Lotus Lantern Festival was held along Jongnu-boulevard in Insadong.

We gathered supplies for the day and headed out of Paju early on Saturday morning. Our plans including scrounging through Seoul on our own than regroup in Myeong-dong to grab grub, walk to the festival and acquire seats.

Shauna spent her time in Hongdae and Myeong-dong, doing a bit of eye-shopping. And I went down to Noryangjin Fisheries Market then into Nandemun Market to do research on a couple possible digital-SLR and Micro-four thirds cameras.

As we met up in Myeong-dong, time began to fade towards the hour that the lotus lantern festival was to begin. We postponed dinner to wander towards Jongnu.

Call it poor timing (on my behalf) but we arrived on the boulevard as street crews laid out chairs and roped off the middle four lanes getting the festival ready. As they lined chairs along the roadway, I decided (since Shauna was in a bookstore) to grab to front row seats along the barrier rope. Standing near the seats I saw Shauna emerge from the subway line exit. Whistling she heard my call and turned towards to street. I waved. She smiled. "Did you find the book?" "Yea but its four years old. So, I left it. We'll find a newer version." "What is the newer version called? Then I can help you locate it," I said with a smile. "Thanks. But your not going to learn where we are going until I tell you," she replied. "Hungry?" "Yep." "Okay, since we have these nice chairs here, how about one of us goes gets food and drink then the other one." "Sounds good. You go first." "See you in a bit." And I hurried off into the cacophony of shops along the sidewalk.

Upon my return Shauna bounded out of her chair, wallet in hand and disappeared into the Starbucks coffee shop just behind us. Ten minutes later we both sat watching people jockeying for position along the ropes. Festival goers moved across the breadth of the road entering shops, gathering drinks and accumulating food before the parade swept through.

As the sights and sounds of the parade moved along the boulevard we sat peering through our cameras trying to figure out angles and backgrounds. When the first parade lanterns arrived a hush silence filled the air as people took in the details of each piece slowly passing through. Bands of traditional drummers beat out sounds stretching across the length of the road as we admired the movement of colors and lights.

Words cannot accurately describe this special occasion. Therefore please enjoy the photographs from the Lotus Lantern Festival commemorating Buddha's Birthday.




Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 14; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0633s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb