The long and winding road at Jindo Miracle Sea Festival 13’


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Jeollabuk-do
April 27th 2013
Published: May 2nd 2013
Edit Blog Post

It’s been labeled ‘mysterious’, ‘mystical’, and even a ‘miracle’. Welcome to the Jindo Sea Parting Festival 2013. Held every year, the festival is all about the Yellow Sea and the 90 minutes in which it magically recedes – exposing a winding path to neighboring Modo Island. Those expecting a ‘Moses’ style grand event will be sadly mistaken however as the sea parting is a quiet affair caused by tide-related sea level changes.



There are a few things you’ll need to enjoy this festival. The first being garish thigh high rubber boots to protect your shoes and pants from the water. These are available in orange, green and maroon and what they lack in style, they make up for in necessity as you stride through the water. In some spots the tide completely recedes to expose delicate blue starfish, octopi, fish and shells of all descriptions. In other areas, deep pools of water remain and people have to maneuver themselves carefully around them to avoid falling into them!



The second thing you’ll need is an empty stomach. There are make-shift food tents selling crispy scallion pajeon, octopus stir-fry’s, and pork fresh off a giant pig that has been roasted on a spit outside the tent. Of course, there is also Korea’s most famous or should that be infamous drink Soju ready for consumption. Each little food truck gives off a different aroma, from your nostrils flaring at the fresh cream waffles and cinnamon and nut pancakes, to cotton candy and popular Korean street snacks like fish cakes, corn, and hot dogs.



This festival causes quite a stir in Jindo each year as Korean locals pay homage to a grand lady known as Grandma Bbong. In fact, this festival is held in honour of a Korean folk tale about her. The story goes that when the Jindo villagers fled the Island due to a giant tiger, old grandma Bbong got left behind. She spent all day and all night praying to the god of the sea to be reunited with her family. He finally answered her prayers but she died of exhaustion in her family’s arms just a few minutes after she was reunited with them.



While the folk tale is one of love and loss the festival aims to celebrate and pay tribute to Grandma Bbong in a more positive manner. The locals sing and dance their way across the 2.9 kilometer, 40-meter wide sea path. Some locals beat their drums furiously, while others carry flags bearing different Korean inscriptions. Upon arriving at Modo Island, you will spy a statue of Grandma Bbong’s family waiting at the shore for her.





It's then time to make the trek back. Be careful and mindful of the time as that water doesn't stay back for long. As you head towards the mainland, watch out for the sea current which may have gained momentum while you were checking out the smaller Island. This is the optimum time to make sure those thigh high boots are strapped on tight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



3rd May 2013

Wonderful read
What a lovely story. My only complaint - WHY WASN'T I INVITED :)

Tot: 0.133s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0549s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb