Shopping {Darrell}


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Gyeongsangbuk-do » Gimcheon
March 26th 2007
Published: March 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Fresh SharkFresh SharkFresh Shark

Buy shark meat right out of the tank
Yesterday we looked in our cupboards to find something to eat. It wasn't good news. We quite literally only had bread and butter left. Oh, and 2 min noodles. But since we've been eating noodles for a week now we decided it's time to go do some proper food shopping.

Instead of taking a taxi $7* ride to the closest E-Mart like last time. we caught the free shuttle into Ilsan, about an hours drive. We then walked the 3 blocks to the supermarket there, another huge grocery store. Every time we go to one of these stores it amazes me what they have. We were so keen to buy fruit, but a bag of apples costs almost $4 and a huge pear goes for $2.5. Crazy! Veg is also almost as expensive, but we got some cucumber and potatoes, just so we don't start turning yellow or something!

The highlight of the shopping adventure was definately the seafood section. Fresh (alive!) fish, perlemoen, octopus and even shark are kept in tanks waiting for the local shoppers. There are also tanks full of the biggest crabs I have seen in my life!

Of course for us shopping
PerlemoenPerlemoenPerlemoen

So this is where all of SA's perlies are ending up
stil means buying whateveer's on special, but we did manage to get some more bread and jam and noodles, which, come to think of it, is pretty much all we had to start off with. We did manage to get some fantastic Coffe-Choc ice cream for a great price, which will have to make up for the lack of fresh fruit and veg.

On the way home we took the bus, but through the rush and chaos Cathy managed to leave her wallet on the bus. Very frustrating, but luckily there was no money in it . It could also have been worse, we've both managed to not lose money, plane tickets or passports so far. Just means that she has to get new cards issued. What a pain!

*1000 Korean Won = about $1 US, so most of us talk about prices in dollars, because it's easier than working everything out in thousands. Exept for our paychecks of course, they stay in millions!


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

HuuuugeHuuuuge
Huuuuge

Some of them giant crabs I was talking about


6th April 2007

mmm..think i'll stay with braaivleis
Sounds like heaps of fun,leave it to you guys to make the best of a shopping experience...hehehe Love you 2 loads!
15th April 2007

Fruit... Veg????
Don't worry you really don't need fruit and veg look how well i turned out....

Tot: 0.323s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 31; qc: 161; dbt: 0.2213s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb