Daegu (24-26 Jul 15)


Advertisement
South Korea's flag
Asia » South Korea » Daegu » Dong-gu
July 25th 2015
Published: July 26th 2015
Edit Blog Post

From Gyeongju, it was another short bus ride (1h) westwards to South Korea's fourth (or third, depending on who you ask) city Daegu. Not especially renowned even within Korea for any particular must-see tourist attractions, Daegu does boast some economic and historical significance, with its Yangnyeongsi district being the centre of traditional Korean medicine since hundreds of years ago. Daegu was also close to the last military stronghold frontier of the American-supported Southern forces during the first phase of the Korean War, when they were beaten back and close to relinquishing almost the entire territory. And Daegu was also the birthplace of Korea's most famous family conglomerate (chaebol) Samsung (which started out as a tiny trading business), as well as its most fondly-remembered (and simultaneously infamous) military dictator Park Chung Hee. On the KTX railway route and North-South highway between Seoul and Busan, Daegu is also a natural transit for anyone touring the country.

Stayed at Ingka Motel.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



Tot: 0.161s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 55; dbt: 0.1019s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb