Settling In


Advertisement
Asia » South Korea » Daegu » Dalseo-Gu
March 10th 2011
Published: March 10th 2011
Edit Blog Post

I know I'm overdue to tell you all about my “Korean life”. I bet you want to know about my apartment, the area where I'm living, my school and school life, food, The Korean Person, and everything else new that's going on. If you don't, then just stop reading now. Stop. Okay you kept reading, so let me get started. Don't expect to find out about everything in this one post. I will write i... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

View from My Apartment Window 3View from My Apartment Window 3
View from My Apartment Window 3

The building next door is being constructed.
Seafood SoupSeafood Soup
Seafood Soup

About $7USD. I actually semi-enjoyed it. If you know me I'm sure you are amazed. I didn't eat the mussels though.
Side DishesSide Dishes
Side Dishes

Almost all Korean restaurants serve free side dishes with a main dish that you pay for.
RiceRice
Rice

This rice had little black spices in it. Expect this with any Korean meal, no matter the time of day.
Buddhist Temple 2Buddhist Temple 2
Buddhist Temple 2

There are what look like black urns on bottom left. I think they use those to make kimchi, the national dish.
Random PicRandom Pic
Random Pic

We were on a walk



12th March 2011

Questions
Really great blogs! Thank you for all of the information. I was thinking about teaching in S.Korea and had a couple of questions that I had about the EPIK program that you used. Was there a program or fee associated with it? Also how happy are you with the process and where you ended up? Everything looks great!
25th March 2011

EPIK
EPIK has been really good so far. I went with EPIK because it is run by the Korean government, so I consider it more stable than teaching in a private school (hagwon). There is no specific fee to apply etc. You do end up paying for the visa and flight here, but after a month, you are paid a stipend of about $1100USD. The other good thing is that you do not have to pay for your apartment/furnishings (included in contract). You can either go directly through EPIK (I would recommend) or through a recruiter (Korvia for example). People I know have had varying experiences with recruiters, so I would just steer clear. I've only been here about a month, but so far I really like Daegu and my school. Here's EPIK's website: http://www.epik.go.kr/ . Let me know if you have any other questions. Good luck!

Tot: 0.11s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 59; dbt: 0.0555s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb