Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Little India
October 3rd 2017
Published: October 6th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Marina Bay SandsMarina Bay SandsMarina Bay Sands

55 stories!
What was good about our 15 hour journey from Dublin to Singapore? Getting complimentary 200ml bottles of champagne from the Norwegian Air flight attendant after Mags "let slip" we were on our official honeymoon.

What was bad about about our 15 hour journey to said location? The two and a half year old toddler who had been tapping Mags on the shoulder for the entire trip to show off her colouring book suddenly decided to make a dive for Mags glass of champers and ended up knocking half of the said champagne bottle all over Mags!

On Singapore itself, I have to say I've been absolutely blown away by the architecture, engineering and design of the city.. it somehow feels like we've been teleported to the future! In Dublin, anything over 6 stories high would be considered very big whereas the Marina Bay Sands hotel on the Singapore waterfront is 55 stories high.. and it's not even in the top 5 highest buildings here. Mosques, churches and Hindu temples are dotted around on the different streets and the underground metro transportation system is up there with Berlin as the best I have seen. However what makes Singapore stand out is how green the city is.. apparently part of a strategy by the Singapore government to transform Singapore from a "Garden City" to a "City in a Garden".The streets are immaculate and they have even gone as far as to make chewing gum illegal!

We did a bit of scootering around the city with a few more people from our hostel Tuesday evening. Torrential rain failed to stop us and my phone is paying the price as it now keeps freezing 😞 Strangely our guide kept us out on the roads while it rained but the rain had subsided again by the time he decided to take us through various indoor "shortcuts"! That said, we got to see an incredible lights and watershow down on the harbour and followed that up with an equally incredible lighting of the supertree grove in Gardens by the Bay. The supertree grove is the centre piece of the Gardens of the Bay site and supports various plants and birds as well as generating solar energy.

On the Wednesday we spent all day in Universal Studios, Singapore. This place is crazy with thousands of people from around Asia travelling to it to experience
Nice and Dry!Nice and Dry!Nice and Dry!

Before we headed off scootering around Singapore
the best movie experience outside travelling to Florida. Entry was quite steep (70 singapore dollars) for two backpackers operating off a budget so we were determined to get our money's worth! Despite some of the queues for various rides being up to an hour long, we managed to squeeze in the Battlestar Galactica rollercoaster, the Lost World boat trip, some other Jurassic Park themed ride, saw the Waterworld stunt show, a Madagascar themed boat ride, Sesame Street go kart (Don't judge, I was on the lookout for my childhood hero Cookie Monster!), the Mummy rollercoaster, a Sheen 4D cinema experience and last but not least the Transformers film 4D rollercoaster. Not bad going but we conveniently managed to skip a lot of queues by going through the single rider queue which just meant myself and Mags couldn't sit together.. sure Mags was only delighted with some peace and quiet! I have to give a special mention to the Transformers 4D Rollercoaster which is done in the dark with a pair of 4D glasses on. Our cart was getting thrown around the place as huge transformers were flinging it through the streets of some US city.. highly recommended!

Our last day in Singapore we again headed for Gardens by the Bay and the Marina Bay Sands hotel. This time we went to the Cloudforest which is considered the greatest greenhouse in the world. Cloudforest is a very particular type of rainforest that occurs only with the right amount of humidity and sunlight and is famous for the beautiful orchids that can grow there as a result. About as big as 60 Olympic swimming pools it also contains a 35 metre high mountain off which runs the world's biggest indoor waterfall. This place was probably the highlight of my time in the city, getting to see such rare and beautiful flowers up close was amazing! Check out the pics, they say it all... (Mags took all the good ones 😉 )


Additional photos below
Photos: 35, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

I was not well after this..!I was not well after this..!
I was not well after this..!

Got flung upside down 5 times!
Supertree GroveSupertree Grove
Supertree Grove

Has to be seen to be believed !


Tot: 0.226s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 16; qc: 61; dbt: 0.1463s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb