European Adventure 2013


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Chinatown
August 17th 2013
Published: August 20th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Hopped onto the SIA bus for a hop on hop off tour of Singapore. Visited a Hindu temple in Chinatown then the Buddhist Tooth Temple and Museum in the same area. This was fascinating as there was a service with gongs, drums and chanting happening at the time and ‘yes’, Buddha’s tooth encased in gold (quite a large tooth as it has apparently kept on growing since Buddha died. We also learnt that his mother had been impregnated by an elephant’s tusk (ouch!)…another virgin birth!



In the afternoon we headed off in the bus to the Singapore Botanic Gardens in heavy rain. We had a snack while waiting for the rain to stop then wandered around these beautiful gardens. The Orchid Garden was particularly impressive, not just for the amazing array of orchids but also for the incredible way the whole area had been landscaped. Decided to try the Singapore Flyer (equivalent to the London Eye) in the evening…the lights over Marina Bay & the view were amazing. Some street food filled us up and we returned home on the MRT (successfully and painlessly this time!)


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement

Buddha Tooth Temple & MuseumBuddha Tooth Temple & Museum
Buddha Tooth Temple & Museum

Service with chanting, gongs & drums
Singapore FlyerSingapore Flyer
Singapore Flyer

Hitech compartment
Singapore FlyerSingapore Flyer
Singapore Flyer

View from Flyer over Marina Bay


Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0573s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb