Singapore Galore !


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Chinatown
November 10th 2010
Published: November 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We left the UK on 6th November - Manchester to Heathrow, Heathrow to Singapore with Qantas 747 !

Business Class is like a top restaurant in the air, unlimited champagne, exquisite food with real cutlery and a great service. What a way to fly....however by the evening things had taken a sinister twist and it was more like an asylum in the air with passengers (inmates ?) shuffling about in Qantas pyjama's and flight socks (oh, the glamour !), staring at silent screens, laughing to themselves and waiting for their next meal ! By morning normal service resumed and we landed in Singapore after a 12 hour flight feeling refreshed and relaxed.

Checked into our hotel, the Hotel Miramar is very convenient for the local bars and restaurants at Robinson Quay and Clarke Quay. Decided to sample the local dishes but ended up in a tapas bar...strolled down the Marina to Harry's Bar the (in)famous watering hole of Nick Leeson. Returned late in the evening and wandered into the red light district past the girls shouting to John "hey boy, you want happy ending ?!!"

Day two and we visited the Thian Hock Keng Temple, prayed to Ma Zu (the sea goddess) and Confucius, one of China's greatest thinkers who developed the social value system that promoted education, self discipline, respect and political responsibilty. We left the temple feeling spiritually cleansed and we strolled down the waterfront to the Merlion, half fish half lion, the Merlion symbolises the unity of the lion city (Singapore) and the sea.

In the afternoon we chilled out by the hotel pool before heading along the Marina again, this time to sample Singapore's signature dish of Chilli Crab...it was hot ! John had left his wallet at the hotel so of course Vicky obliged and picked up the bill for the evening which included two bottles of Margaret River rose, various beers, cheese and biscuits etc...John had a great night, and Vicky is currently arranging an overdraft to get them through the rest of the holiday ! Singapore is one expensive place !!

Day three and the obligatory City tour, visiting the Merlion and the Temple (seen it !)...went to Singapore Botanical Gardens, famous for the orchids and took in a tour of a gem factory where we resisted the jade and two for one watches ! Tour guide obviously on commission. Left the tour in Little India where we had a chicken curry and naan bread lunch for $12. Walked from Little India to the Singapore Flyer (like the London Eye only bigger). We only visited the flyer to go to the Fish Spa, quite an experience having your feet and toes nibbled by little fishes though our feet needed it after pounding the streets of Singapore !

Dinner at Raffles in the evening (Vicky got her Raffles Revenge for the previous night wallet incident !). Two Singapore Slings followed by a superb meal in the Courtyard Restaurant perfect for people-watching, relaxing and enjoying the fine food and wine, followed by more Singapore Sling's in the Long Bar famous for its peanuts ! The floor is strewn with peanut shells, it's the only place in Singapore where litter is permitted ! Though they also serve the most expensive pint of guinness $22 !!! (£12). Even more expensive than Temple Bar in Dublin on St Patrick's Day !

Today is our last day in Singapore, we have loved it and feel like we have explored it well and learned a bit about their culture and how they live in such peace and harmony. Farewell Singapore....next stop Brisbane !


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0453s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb