Making our way round Singapore


Advertisement
Singapore's flag
Asia » Singapore » Chinatown
January 17th 2018
Published: January 18th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Today's plan was to use the hop on / hop off buses to get us round to where we wanted to go. We went to the bus stop as directed by the hotel only to find that it was the yellow route where we wanted the red route, which means we had to walk to another bus stop. The C.O. Is flawed. She cannot read a map. However she thinks she can. We had a free and frank exchange of views but I insisted that we went to where I said in order to catch the bus to Chinatown. We found out the correct stop, bought tickets and journeyed to Chinatown which was our planned destination. I tried to remain impartial and keep the smugness off my face. I am not sure I achieved this as, in a more tender moment she admitted that she might be cartogaphally challenged but she had been awarded "genius" status by Booking.com. I said that she should be proud and I am sure thoroughly deserved her status. We wandered round Chinatown which was looking particularly festive as they were planning the Chinese New Year which would be the year of the dog. This will be a good year. Not quite as good as a year of the dragon but still pretty good. We wandered round Chinatown avoiding wonderful purchasing opportunities until we invested in nameplates for the grandchildren and watched the artist create them. This artist was amazing and created nameplates by free hand that have to be unique.

We caught another red bus and rode round to the Gardens by the Bay which is an amazing forest of metal trees and also an indoors botanical garden. The garden was closed for maintenance so we walked round the "Skyway" which is a watkway suspended from some of the taller metal "trees". We next made our way to the Marina Bay Sands hotel and went up to the 37th floor to the open air Sky Bar that is on top of the boat structure at the summit of the three towers. You had to pay $20 each for a ticket, the cost of which can be offset against a purchase of food or drink in the bar Which did not cover the total cost. The view from the top was amazing and was a good opportunity to get a Singapore sling cocktail. We met an Englishman, at the bar, who specialised in organising football coaching, in England, for Asian boys who thought they could burst onto the English Premier League scene. I asked him if he also organised tattoos for their arms. He admitted that, as yet, he had not done so but thought it was a good idea. We next caught a yellow route bus back to our hotel.

We wanted to see the laser light show in the bay later that evening. Instead of walking, as we were knackered, we took a laser light show boat which transported us to the bay and stopped giving us a grandstand view of the laser light display that used fountains, coloured lights and laser lights choreagraphed with loudspeaker music - very impressive.

I apologise that this bl***** blog software is not allowing me to upload any photos.

Advertisement



20th January 2018

Singapo
Did you get to Mount Faber then? We had a S Sling at thre Marina Bay Sands - the Long Bar at Raffles open only between 11.30 and 12.30, or so. I was cartographically challenged ther too- Rae was proved right unfortunately. Must be that the southern hemisphere revereses your sense of direction..........or it could be old age! Enjoy!

Tot: 0.088s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 14; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0562s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb