This is what home for me is about. Beach bumming on weekends.


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines
May 26th 2014
Published: May 26th 2014
Edit Blog Post

The Quintessential Philippines PhotoThe Quintessential Philippines PhotoThe Quintessential Philippines Photo

Vinzons beach in Calaguas Islands
It’s been crazy hot since I got back. Sometimes it gets as hot as 36.5°C with crushing humidity. I know it goes over 40 in other countries but it's hard for me to imagine what that feels like. So I visited a couple of beaches that’s on my list of places to see in my country. This list keeps adding up though as people are constantly discovering new coves, islands and beaches. It’s 2014 and you would think that all beautiful places have already been discovered but there are more than 7,000 islands in the Philippines and only about 2,000 of those are inhabited so it’s going to take quite a long time for everything to get it’s share of limelight in the media.

To get to Calaguas Islands you’d have to drive eight hours from Manila to Paracale in Camarines Norte. From there you hire a boat that would take you out to the islands. The boat trip costs P4,000 and would take you to the islands and back to Paracale on the day that you agree to be picked up. The boat trip takes about two hours.

The islands were the usual stunning white beaches that you see all over the Philippines. I sound so unexcited. Still Canada’s fault! Truth is I’ve seen way too many stunning white sand beaches here. What I like about Calaguas though is the lack of tourists and resorts. It’s still pretty raw compared to most places I’ve been to, especially during weekdays. The islands have no electricity and there’s only one proper resort with acceptable amenities. The resort has expensive huts though so me and my friends just pitched our tents and set up our hammocks by the beach. Which is what is done by most people. You can also rent tents there if you don't want to bring your own. Bathrooms and freshwater are available for a very minimal fee. The weekend was spent eating, swimming, kayaking, snorkelling and playing Frisbee and Beach Volleyball. One could easily spend a week there just doing those. There is no cellphone coverage in the islands which is great. It’s so important to get unplugged from the internet every now and again although I admit I am one of those people who are constantly checking their social media accounts. I don’t like it but that’s just how it is. It’s the new social norm. What are you gonna do when you’re having lunch with your colleagues at work and they’re all just looking at their phones? You do the same until it becomes a hard habit to break even when you know how pathetic it is. A lot of people go to beautiful places just to stare at their phones.

A couple of years ago there were no resorts in the islands. Now there is one and there are more under construction. I don’t mind if they build resorts in the islands as long as they do it sustainably. I’d like to have other food options other than the one overpriced restaurant in Calaguas. There are several beautiful islands in the Philippines that have been exploited by both tourists and the tourism industry to the expense of the environment. Like concrete buildings constructed ten steps away from the water. Maybe I should join the congress and write laws on how tourism facilities should be set up. Or be the education minister so I can teach the future generations to throw garbage in the thrash cans and don't kill/buy/sell/cage/eat wild animals.

The weekend before I went to Calaguas I went to Anawangin Cove in Zambales. Only three hours away from Manila. There are no resorts there. Everybody just pitched their tents. Everyone was young and it looked like spring break in Mexico. The pine tree lined beach there is best viewed from the top of the mountains on either side of the beach. I learned this year that it's much better to sleep on a hammock than pitch a tent. With a weather that we have in the Philippines from March to May, tents feel like saunas at night. Just make sure to also have a waterproof canopy to protect you from the sun and rain.

White sand beaches are a dime a dozen in the Philippines and I have more appreciation of this now. Not a lot of countries get blue skies for most days of the year and have access to stunning white sand beaches and warm weather all year round.


Additional photos below
Photos: 13, Displayed: 13


Advertisement



26th May 2014

Calaguas
We were in Camarines Norte this February and seriously considered going to Calaguas. The reason we didn't is because we didn't fancy camping in the heat and carrying over all our provisions. Going for the day seemed too much effort considering how long it takes to get over there. Had we known there was a resort already we may have been swayed. I'm glad they're building more accommodation and restaurants there because the competition will bring prices down. I also hope they do it sustainably, because even though white beaches are dime a dozen in the Philippines, each and every one should be treated as the national treasure it is.
26th May 2014

you can go next time!
the resort is expensive at P4000 per day considering that it doesn't have air conditioning because their generator is not that powerful. I wouldn't camp if I had a baby either. cheers!
27th May 2014

Beach Bumming
Your spirits seem to have lifted now you are home. Beautiful beaches. Yet I notice no wave tips or surf visible in the water in your beach pics. Is the area protected by a reef ?
27th May 2014

blue skies and friends make one happy
Theres no reef but both beaches in this entry are in a cove so theres no surf

Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 13; qc: 23; dbt: 0.042s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb