5 Do's for Sabang


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Palawan » Sabang
January 19th 2009
Published: March 4th 2009
Edit Blog Post

1. Spit dust after the trying bus ride and check into a nipa hut on the beach.

2. Meet your new neighbour, Steve, whose Hebrew name is Erin, a Hollywood born bum who lives on social supplement and voted for McCain. Act respectfully when he tells you that he's been travelling for 19 years with the money the government gives him and has been to 43 countries. Let him believe that you think it is an achievement as if you didn't have more flags under your belt. Then learn all about his years in Amsterdam and he's undying love for prostitutes there. As days go by learn more about his midlife crisis, his plan to live in a 50 peso a night hut for a year and a half in order to save enough money to buy a sports car and his dream of becoming a techno star in Las Vegas.

3. Hike to a waterfall which lands to the sea. Hike more, this time the Jungle Trail to see the main attraction of Sabang, the world's longest navigable underground river. On the way spot monkeys and absurd 1,5 meter long monitor lizards which apparently don't take much interest in people or in anything except lounging in the sun. Decide to become one the next day. On your way back discover that the little stream you crossed in the morning has turned into a proper river thanks to high tide. Hire a boatman to paddle you across the river.

4. Eat a fabulous fish curry in DabDab. Regain your faith in Philippino cooking.

5. Get up at 5.45 to catch a boat to Port Barton. Find out that it has been cancelled. Solve your transportation troubles by taking a bus to Salvacion. Once there, stop a Coca-Cola truck and have the guys drop you of at San Jose. Hitch hike another ride until you reach Port Barton which looks just like a paradise.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Monkey trailMonkey trail
Monkey trail

Which way? There? Hell yeah!


Tot: 0.144s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 11; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0521s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb