[Picturesque Palawan] Kayangan Lake, Coron Island


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Palawan » Coron
April 19th 2008
Published: May 10th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


Picturesque PalawanPicturesque PalawanPicturesque Palawan

This most photographed location can be visited when going to Kayangan Lake.
We were lucky. We were the first group who arrived in the vicinity (leaving the town so early). The island is home to the Tagbanua tribe who have lived in the island for centuries. They would charge you a nominal fee to enter and they presumably use the money to improve and protect its natural beauty.

Going to the lake is challenging. Disembarking from your boat, you would need to climb more up more than a hundred steps, then go down a hundred more to reach the lake. Upon reaching the top, you would be greeted with a fascinating view of the area, from where you came from, a picturesque view of islands, probably the most photographed view in the whole of Palawan and to where you are headed, a beautiful lake awaits.

Stop a little, take a rest, enjoy the view. Take more and more portrait and landscape shots. The climb is definitely worth it.

Climbing down you'd see some small wooden (rattan) makeshift steps and seats where you can leave your belongings. You can then dive to the lake and enjoy having a peaceful swim. You can also snorkel around and see some corals and fishes.
Swimming in Kayangan LakeSwimming in Kayangan LakeSwimming in Kayangan Lake

My friend swimming in Kayangan Lake
The lake is surrounded by huge rock and limestone formations and lush greeneries.

Personally, I would never forget this place. This was where I got the courage to snorkel alone and built my courage for the tougher snorkeling areas in the next places.

After a few hours, we decided to leave the place and go to the other beautiful destinations. Just this place alone made me think I was already in paradise. Looking back, this was my favorite destination in Coron as it had me at hello.


Background:
Kayangan lake is a freshwater lake located in Coron Island province of Palawan in the Philippines. It is also sometimes referred to as Blue Lagoon.


Some more info:
Visiting hours is between 8am to 4pm.
This lake was awarded as the cleanest lake in the country.
The entrace fee is 200Php (US$5 for a 40Php to US$1 conversion)


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Cave on topCave on top
Cave on top

A fun shot we took (we say its inspired by Survivor) upon reaching the top of the steps before reaching Kayangan Lake
climb that highclimb that high
climb that high

we had to climb something that high to reach our destination
a beautiful backdropa beautiful backdrop
a beautiful backdrop

enjoy the view on top of Kayangan.. and take some pictures too


23rd May 2008

So that's what it's called!
Thanks for this post. I finally know what this place in Coron is officially called. It's still in my TO-SEE-LIST-BEFORE-I-DIE. Thanks for sharing!
24th May 2008

thanks for visiting annmariemarie :) I do hope that one day you can visit the place! Its truly amazing!
26th May 2008

great place!
wow! i haven't been anywhere near. i definitely will include this on my places to be.

Tot: 0.05s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb