My Marinduque


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Marinduque
December 27th 2009
Published: December 27th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Easter HossanaEaster HossanaEaster Hossana

One of Marinduque's Holy Week traditions is the Easter "Salubong", meeting. The image of the Risen Christ in a caroza and that of the Mother Mary in a separate caroza 'meet' as the brass band plays, a couple of young dancers dance "Bati", and a boy or girl dressed up as an angel is carried upwards in a carriage pulled by sturdy men.
A valuable key to an understanding of the Philippines' pre-colonial history lies on the island of Marinduque. I have previously posted here a video I created, "My Ancient Marinduque", that briefly provides an account of the explorations conducted in 1881 on this island by the Frenchman, Alfred Marche. Archaeological artifacts that have been found in numerous caves here over the years have found their way into the Musee l'Homme in Paris and the Smithsonian Institution in Washington D.C.

Curiously, this heart-shaped island is also smack-center of the Philippine Archipelago. A 1911 American-built marker, known as Luzon Datum of 1911, would later confirm that within Marinduque lies the geodetic center of the Philippines. In view of this, Marinduque island prides itself as the center of the Philippines.

The dialect spoken in Marinduque has been described as the root from which modern national forms of speech have sprung, where remnants of archaic Tagalog could be found, spoken in a lilting manner by its inhabitants. This supports Marinduque's significant contribution to the the development of a national language.

Characterized by pristine natural beauty, Marinduque boasts of a wide spectrum of unspoiled beaches, mountain peaks, fabled sulfur springs and limestone caves, cascading
"Gasang Gasang Festival""Gasang Gasang Festival""Gasang Gasang Festival"

A fairly new festival started in 2003 in the town of Gasan. Largely a reproduction of "Sinulog" but with images of the Risen Christ celebrated instead of the Sto. Nino, boy Jesus.
waterfalls, fringing reefs, virgin islets and old churches.

Spanish and American rule over the island saw significant acts of local heroism in revolutionary fights. The accounts of victorious battles continue to surface today as Marinduque rewrites its history.

Marinduque and its surrounding islets is a vital part of the MIMAROPA regional group of island-provinces (Mindoro, Marinduque, Romblon, Palawan), steadily rising as a prime tourist destination in the south of Luzon.

This island-province is located some 137 nautical miles from Manila and is accessible by water and air transport. Its total land area is 95,925 hectares, subdivided into six municipalities comprising 218 barangay communities.



Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Gasang-Gasang 'Tribe'Gasang-Gasang 'Tribe'
Gasang-Gasang 'Tribe'

This new festival replaced the Easter Moriones festival where the tradition was first discovered by the outside world in the 60s
Battle of MorionsBattle of Morions
Battle of Morions

The crowd in Boac on Holy Thursday for the Battle of Morions where Moriones contingents from the other municipalities compete in choreographed movements.
Pasyon-Dula, Passion PlayPasyon-Dula, Passion Play
Pasyon-Dula, Passion Play

I wrote a new script and directed an updated Passion Play in 2006 that saw its premiere in Buenavista town the same year. It was mounted in Gasan in 2008 and saw its first performance in Boac town on Holy Thursday this year, 2009.
The Good Friday Via CrucisThe Good Friday Via Crucis
The Good Friday Via Crucis

Nowhere else in the world perhaps could equal the Good Friday "Via Crucis", Way of the Cross, in Boac, Marinduque. In the troical heat hundreds of participants, from the town's menfolk in their moriones garb, to the women from all sectors dressed up in Jerusalem costumes re-enact the last hours of Jesus Christ with the historic streets of Boac as the stage. The Crucifixion scene is done at the 'Moriones Arena' atop a hill constructed for the purpose.
Gasan, 400Gasan, 400
Gasan, 400

Gasan's celebration of its 400th Founding Anniversary als saw the inauguration of a bigger Catholic church for the faithful. Gsan remain's Marinduque's cultural nerve-center.


6th January 2010

Long Live Marinduqueños!
I'm native of Boac, Marinduque. How inspiring it is to read from you about our beloved province, Marinduque. I've been living outside from my province for almost 40 years due to my work and family. When I go home, it's just a simple visit to my parents and other family relatives. Please continue featuring other info about our island paradise. I will be very glad to read them all. God bless, good luck and more power.
5th May 2010

I love marinduque
I was born in marindque and I still coing back to marinduque because love my hometow despite .I am not rich enough to travel all the time but I dont forget my hometown its apeaceful pace to be ,and the people are very kind .Hope they allow marinduque to be develop for tourism. So It cant help the province economy and the peoples income for living .And I also wish they fully Develop Balanacan as a Marina and a travel destination for holiday for Tourist . Only One Comment .They have obliged the people to maintain the cleanliness of our sea shore .Some people they make the seqa shore as public Toilet .Clealiness must be mandatory .And it wil helps to improve the econonomy.

Tot: 0.06s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0339s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb