Another Day of Transit


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Manila
November 17th 2012
Published: November 18th 2012
Edit Blog Post

We arranged to be picked up at 10:15pm which would leave us plenty of time to arrive at the airport in Delhi and prepare for our next destination. The tour company sent a representative to guide us back to the airport and help with the check in process and make sure we made it through security. We had an interesting ride to the airport as he was trying to read our flight documents and talk to me about them, all while keeping quiet so Penny could not hear the destination. So, once we got into the airport, I asked Penny where she wanted to go, and she started to look around. Delhi has a nice new airport and it was a real breath of fresh air from some of the older and crowded airports we had been in. The building actually reminded me a lot of Hong Kong with its large windows and use of white colour. We made our way to the check in counter and that's when it was revealed to Penny that we were going to be flying on Philippine Airlines. But, the catch was, the flight was in two parts. It flew from Delhi, to Bangkok, then moved on the Manila. So, as the guide and I checked in, Penny thought long about where she was going. The guide just thought this was the most priceless situation. She really doesn't know, he kept asking. So, we finished with the checkin, the bags were checked to the final destination, and we bid the other guide farewell. We made it through security, and then we hopped on the plane and headed east. Once on that plane, we had finally commited to a direction. Being in Delhi, it was still possible for us to go back the way we came. But, now that we were heading east, it became quite obvious this would be our route home. With this revelation, came another revelation. Penny's true birthday gift. While we were sitting waiting for the plane to leave, I told Penny, this was her real gift for her 40th birthday. Not a trip to Paris, or a week on the beach in the Maldives. Not even the Taj Mahal. No, the real gift for her birthday was to circumnavigate the world in an eastern direction. The rest were the stops we would make while we did this journey. Penny had never been around the world in one trip, so this was a first for her. So off to Bangkok we went, and Penny thought about what we would do in Thailand. Once the plane landed there, we got a notice that anyone going further to Manila, was to stay on the plane. Penny looked at me, and knew, we were still sitting. So we waited the two hours and then we were off again. We didn't talk much about what would happen once we were in Manila, but you could see the gears grinding. Once landing in Manila, we made our way to baggage, which was also the same direction as the transfers, so Penny still was unsure, are we staying, are we going. Finally, a worker made me play my hand as they were directing transfers in another direction and we took that direction. So, down some stairs, some boarding passes stamped, and we were lead up some stairs, around the passport control, and finally to a security check where we would get back to the departure gates. Once through, we went for a sign to see our gate. Not there. We looked at all the departure gates, just 9 of them, and none of the screens worked. How does anyone know where they are going? Finally, we noticed everything was in written notices. Penny knew were were on flight PR100 so she kept a look for it. And, after an hour, she finally found PR100, and you should have seen the smile on her face!! Priceless.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



19th November 2012

PR100
So exactly where did PR100 take you?

Tot: 0.067s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0381s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb