Day 168: Manila


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Manila
March 3rd 2010
Published: March 10th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We spent one night in Manila, in between Coron and Donsol. Basically all we did in Manila was drop off our bags at our hotel and head straight to the Mall of Asia.

The Mall of Asia pales in comparison to the Mall of America in Minnesota, but it was still pretty impressive. They have an ice rink, a bowling alley, and an IMAX theater among many other things. We had a pretty great time there. After exploring a bit we hit up the ice rink for some ice skating. Steph learned of my secret talent for ice skating. I'm really not very good at all but she is terrible so I guess she was impressed.

For dinner I had a Wendy's double cheeseburger. Steph had a few pretzels from Annie's. Ahhhh, American junk food. We passed by a restaurant called K.K.K. You won't see that one in America.

Later we saw Avatar in IMAX 3D. It was the second time for us but it was still awesome.

So... not the most authentic Manila experience. We did probably spend 1 1/2 hours in traffic while we were there, so I guess that part is authentic.

Here's a couple pictures:





Advertisement



10th March 2010

KKK
We learned that historically, the KKK (Katipunan) was the secret organization of revolutionaries who fought for the Philippines independence from Spain. When we told our taxi driver what it refers to in the US, he was surprised!
10th March 2010

LOL, K.K.K. it has nothing to do with the Klan! LOL
10th March 2010

hahahah! KKK is in no way a reference to Ku Klux, but was rather a tagalog acronym for an anti- Spaniard revolutionary group, during the Spanish colonization. Have a gerat time in PI

Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0552s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb