An Outpouring of Love in the Philippines


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Manila
August 21st 2009
Published: August 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

The Filipino is Worth Dying ForThe Filipino is Worth Dying ForThe Filipino is Worth Dying For

Famous last words of Ninoy Aquino, the man who could have beaten Marcos as President, who came home on that fateful day on Aug 21, 1983......mercilessly shot on the tarmac of what is now known as the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA).
This does not pretend to be a travel blog. But I feel compelled to write about this. Some of you may have visited Manila this August 2009, and may have wondered about the recent events. This is our story.

Today marks the 26th death anniversary of Benigno "Ninoy" Aquino, Jr. , whom many believed to be the only man who could have beaten the country's dictator for 20 years, Ferdinand Marcos. Ninoy was a man of peace. When Marcos declared Martial law, this President's most vocal and most popular opponent was Ninoy Aquino, who was promptly sent to jail for 7 years and 7 months. Upon release for medical reasons, Ninoy spent his remaining life in exile with his family in Boston, USA. Those were the best 3 years of Ninoy's life, as they were also the most memorable years for his wife Cory and children.

But Ninoy chose to come home. Warned about the risks to his life, he said "The Filipino Is Worth Dying For". His death on the tarmac upon his arrival in Manila on that fateful day on August 21, 1983 is a day of sorrow, remembrance and gratitude to a man who sparked the
Remembering Ninoy and CoryRemembering Ninoy and CoryRemembering Ninoy and Cory

Filipinos came out in droves to bid farewell to ex President Cory Aquino. On August 21, the churches and streets were literally seas of yellow-shirted Filipinos humbly paying their respects to Ninoy and Cory Aquino.
world famous EDSA Revolution, a peaceful revolution that resulted in the ouster of a dictator. The reluctant widow, Cory Aquino, went on to become the next President of the country. Her simplicity, even her reluctance for power and fame, marked a period of restored freedoms and cherished democracy. Cory died on the same month Ninoy did, 26 years after. In the same way that millions crowded the streets to witness the funeral procession for Ninoy Aquino, millions also lined the streets for the 8-hour long funeral procession from Manila Cathedral to Cory's final resting place in Manila Memorial Park. Seas of yellow-shirted Filipinos paid their last respects for a beloved leader.

Last August 21, 2009 marked the 26th death anniversary of Ninoy Aquino. His wife, the late President Cory, was no longer around to join the crowds which attended the mass in Don Bosco Church. Yet, the people remember. To this day, many visit the tombs of Ninoy and Cory. This is truly an outpouring of love and gratitude to these icons of democracy.


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement

They Waited.........They Waited.........
They Waited.........

Young and not so old.....from all walks of life. They all waited. The funeral cortege took all of 8 hours from church to cemetery. The honor guards stood throughout it all.
It Rained, but the People StayedIt Rained, but the People Stayed
It Rained, but the People Stayed

When ex President Cory's funeral cortege passed by near our house, traffic stood still. Many waited 3 to 4 hours. It rained. But all waited and stayed, to bid adieu to a beloved President.
26th Death Anniversary of Ninoy26th Death Anniversary of Ninoy
26th Death Anniversary of Ninoy

Masses were held across the country. Here in Don Bosco Church near our house, the late widow of Ninoy would hear mass every Aug 21st commemorating the death anniversary of her husband. Last year was the last time Cory Aquino would attend it.
Open Letters to Ninoy and CoryOpen Letters to Ninoy and Cory
Open Letters to Ninoy and Cory

An outpouring of love and gratitude ......... as these letters attest.
26 Years After Ninoy, 3 Weeks After Cory26 Years After Ninoy, 3 Weeks After Cory
26 Years After Ninoy, 3 Weeks After Cory

....and people continue to pay their respects to these icons of democracy.
Manila Memorial ParkManila Memorial Park
Manila Memorial Park

There are even streamers proclaiming their support for Ninoy and Cory's son, Noynoy, as the next Presidential bet in 2010.


26th August 2009

Thanks
Thank you for sharing this with everyone. I visited the Philippines in January and absolutely loved it. I must admit that I knew, and know, little about the history of the country and where it came from. Thank you for providing this insight to such a beautiful place, it helps me to appreciate a destination more when I know what it has gone through to get to its present day. Much Respect!
26th August 2009

I am jealous. I wanted to write about Cory's but I was working when she was brought to her final destination and I was out of the country during Ninoy's. Something to be proud of.
26th August 2009

No reports about this in the western news, but an amazing story. Where were you? What was it like?
26th August 2009

My entire family was there!
The funeral procession passed by the condominium building where we live. The entire neighborhood was there to watch the passing of the funeral procession for ex President Cory Aquino, fondly called "Tita Cory" (tita means aunt). The August 21 mass held yearly on Ninoy's death anniversary was at Don Bosco Church near our residence. We went too, but sad that "Tita Cory" was not there anymore with us. (I always saw her in those anniversary masses prior to her death) That same afternoon, we went to the memorial park where Cory and Ninoy were buried. There were a lot of people there, praying and offering flowers. It was a genuine show of respect , love and gratitude. It was also a fine way of explaining to the younger generation what we went through during the martial law years under a dictator, and how a peaceful "People Power" forced the Marcoses out of the country in 1986.
26th August 2009

Illusion of Freedom
The Philippines will continue to suffer from the irreparable damage that the corrupt dictator Ferdinand Marcos has done to the country and its people. He has put the country in so much debt which Filipinos can never repay. Philippines is now practically a slave to international debt. Philippines revenue just goes to servicing the interest rate on its debt instead of it going to the social welfare and services. The country is deeply buried in poverty due to corruption and injustices at local, national and international level. My heart goes to all developing countries who are continually being exploited by their own corrupt government and rich countries who immorally lent money to have economic gain and indirect control of country and its people.
13th September 2009

Fascinating story my friend
Thank you for taking the time to write and share your story with the world. This is a fascinating story and one that I am unfamiliar with. Since I live halfway around the world and most of this took place before my coming of age, after adolescence, I had no idea that all of this occurred. Keep sharing your history lessons with the world and teach us old dogs a new trick every now and then. See ya, Jeff

Tot: 0.935s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 47; qc: 181; dbt: 0.2468s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.6mb