Manila Madness


Advertisement
Philippines' flag
Asia » Philippines » Manila
February 18th 2009
Published: February 18th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Dinner at Shakeys Dinner at Shakeys Dinner at Shakeys

Lita, Brenda, Jojo, George, Katherine, pizza & beer
February 14th

After arriving in Manila, we were quickly and easily met by Lita and Brenda. We met Jojo and his friend, who’s van it was that came to pick us up, and drove out and hit the streets. Both Katherine’s and my eyes were transfixed out of the window. The streets were lined with boutiques, though most were shut at this hour. They sold all kinds of things and the streets were lit in a dusty yellowy-orange shade while we were bumping along sometimes very damaged roads.

We hit a motorway and everyone is driving diagonally; I hardly see the point of the lines down the road. After peeling off the motorway, we were greeted by a sea of Jeepnies all stopping and starting as they try to deal with the 11 million or so residents of Manila trying to get wherever it is they’re going. Lita mentioned that even she has hit her head on the roof of them and wondered how I would fit in one.

It was a 45-minute drive to our hotel that Lita had kindly arranged for us and after checking in and saying thank you, we were whisked off to Shakey’s,
Karaoke Karaoke Karaoke

Just try and keep George away from a mic
a pizza parlour, for a late supper. When we arrived, all the employees were gathered at the tills and watched us all, it was kind of weird. We had some beer and a great little meal before we were dropped back off at our hotel and then Katherine and I promptly fell asleep.


February 15th

We woke just before breakkie closed and grabbed a continental (toast, butter, jam and coffee) before heading straight back to bed. Lita said that she’d call but that she’d send Jojo over to collect us around 1600 to meet her family. We slept more and then watched a film before it was time. We walked with Jojo about 10 minutes before peeling off a main drag in the Cubao distrct in Quezon on 21st street and hopping into a bike and sidecar.

My knees were up by my ears but Katherine and I fitted into the sidecar and Jojo was behind the driver. Every time the bike hit a sleeping policeman, I thought that the whole thing would tip over backwards but thankfully, it never did. The ride was wicked, loud (imagine an eight year old going ‘broom broom’ in
Fun for the whole family Fun for the whole family Fun for the whole family

Bin Bin's favorite song is Barbie Girl.. and he won't hear of playing anything else!
your ear) and it was a totally new experience. As we drove along most people stared at us both, tourists are few and far between in this part of Manila.

We arrived and were greeted by a wave of Lita’s grandchildren, we smiled and said ‘hi’, but a few were too shy to speak even though Jojo said that they should try and practise a bit of English. Everyone was happy and so friendly, we were offered a beer and started to get to know one another. I had a round of darts with Jun and had another beer.

Supper was soon ready; we had a Filipino noodley dish that was yummy followed by a sponge and custard pudding. Afterwards, we had a few more beers and told a few stories while enjoying ourselves. Then Katherine mentioned ‘balut’ (pronounced ‘baloot’ - which she’d read about in the guidebook), Jun ears pricked up and asked if we’d ever had anything like this before.

Naturally we hadn’t, so an order was placed out on the town and 10 minutes later 3 balut arrived. Balut are partially formed duck embryos that have been boiled for 30 minutes or so. A
Balut Balut Balut

Jun brings in the delicious snacks
croud gathered around as the first was cracked and a hole was punched at one end and I was told to drink the fluid. I did and it tasted just about okay, then I peeled it fully, sprinkled a bit of salt on it and looked at it for a minute. Then open wide, shoved it in and chewed.

There were little cracks as I crunched its tiny bones but it tasted okay again; sort of like an over hard-boiled egg with a kick. Then Reggie, Lita’s grandson, had one but this time after drinking the fluid and peeling the egg, he parted the chick from the egg bit and showed us an unfolded chick. He then bit the head off with much enjoyment while Katherine winced.

Katherine was offered the third but pigs were going to fly before she was going to eat one so Reggie again showed us how it was done, what a man!

By then, it was getting late and Lita hopped in a taxi with us back to our hotel, the Fersal.



Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Walking through the jungleWalking through the jungle
Walking through the jungle

Tamaraw - the village in the sky
Forest HouseForest House
Forest House

For a lovely dinner.. in a house made out of forest


20th February 2009

pigs will fly
I had to laugh because that's exactly what would have to happen before Kath would eat boiled duck embryos! Same for me so you are a brave man George! You must make quite a sight in Quzon City - at least you won't lose each other in the crowd as you both must be heads taller than the general population. Have a great time, love to Lita!
25th February 2009

George and Catherine - the OC hasn't been the same since you left....cold and rainy. Manxi misses you terribly and is very unhappy with level of attention she gets from humans these days. Everyone else is fine here - Chloe's winter formal went well - though she initially had two dates (Catherine - was this your advice??????). Jeremy is looking for partners in crime re custard consumption - to no avail. Viveca continues to wade through tons of homework and tests (bet you don't miss that!) and I'm just rolling my eyes about it all. We enjoy your blog - seems like you are having a wonderful time. Thanks so much for the postcards! Fondly The Taylors

Tot: 0.118s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0481s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb