Pakistan Zindabad!


Advertisement
Asia » Pakistan » Lahore
May 26th 2008
Published: June 3rd 2008
Edit Blog Post

Pakistan Zindabad (Long live Pakistan) we all chanted as the Pakistani border guards marched back and forth swinging their feet up to touch their hats and then stamping them down with a loud slap on the pavement, all the while glaring at their Indian counterparts on the other side of the border gate. These guys are picked for their height and strength and look very intimidating marching around pu... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 40, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

Chilling with the Paki's!  :)Chilling with the Paki's!  :)
Chilling with the Paki's! :)

They were all from Peshawar so don't see this much snow very often!



4th June 2008

Lost for Words!
Joel, what an amazing blog about an amazing country! Nice to read about your adventures after you have safely left! It sounds like you continue to meet some great people along the way. Looking forward now to hearing of Iran!
4th June 2008

What the
Joel you look Amish! And Amish people are well known for smoking pot...
4th June 2008

Sweet, sweet, sweet!
Mate that was awesome, best blog you've written. It sounds like you really got off the tourist trail and did some proper exploring! Pakistan is now high on my list of places I want to visit. Also loving the beard, it shows true dedication to the vagabond spirit :)
4th June 2008

What a read!
Hey Joel, I'm glad you didn't share the joke made in the car coming back from Smugglers' Bazaar with me at the time. In retrospect was just fine!! I am so thankful to all the people who offered you such wonderful hospitality along the way. Great to get a different perspective on Pakistan. May you be kept safe and well in Iran. From one of your 'conservative readers'!
4th June 2008

brilliant - but wheres the love?
is there a reason you look like you're just about to head off for a suicide mission in every photo joel? indiana jones bridge looks insane, i can't believe you stopped to take photos in the middle of it :P!
5th June 2008

Fabulous Pakistan
It was a pretty nice blog or for that matter a Travelogue that I came across after sometime. Joel, man you've got some writing skills and I am getting impatient in knowing about your experiences in Iran. Pakistan certainly offers extraordinary places when it comes to the topography. Not many countries on the world map can be found with one of the highest mountain ranges, lush green meadows, the longest glaciers and snow walks, stunnigly beautiful valleys, rivers, at the same time deserts, beaches, fields, historical landmarks, Indus Valley - remains of one of the oldest human societies, Gandhara civilization and above all the best possible hosts and friendly people ( as you have already mentioned in your blog). Overall Pakistan is one of the best possible tourist destination. Unfortunately, so called WAR AGAINST TERROR has jolted Pakistan but international media has exagerated it to the maximum, potraying Pakistan as a death valley to the people outside like you've given the reference of Times of India in your blog. Foriegner's kidnapping/ harassment is confined to the tribal bordering areas of the country only, while all other areas (which is more than 99.5% of the total area) offers the best to the tourists/ travelers that you must've felt during your stay. Looking fwd to your Iran Travelogue.
5th June 2008

I think the blue eyes give you away! fascinating tales as ever!
5th June 2008

Great work!
Man! Congratulations on your travel blogs. You are on the way of making a book (which I'd read) at the end of your travel days, (which I hope are miles and miles away). Keep the good stuff coming and thanks for letting us know the world from a rich perspective. Kudos!
6th June 2008

You're a Paki at heart:)
I love it! The pictures are great, and you ARE a good writer, you were just making excuses here in Lahore!:P Great work though; it was very enjoyable, and I can see your blog is convincing more people to visit, which is superb:) p.s. in the photograph titled 'Doing my best to blend in', I couldnt tell you apart from a Peshawari. Stunning job.
7th June 2008

awesome blog joelo...pretty sacry...even to only read all that..beauftiful fotos and you do blend in!!! dont change your style before coming to europe...;)
9th June 2008

Pakistan Zindabad indeed
Hey Joel, I dont know if you remember me, but i am a friend of your Mum's. It was so great to read your blog on Pakistan. I lived there for five years growing up, and have subsequently gone back four times in the past 10 years to climb in the Karakorams. So it certainly feels like a second home to me and your commentarty certainly made me home sick. One of the greatest frustrations i have is convincing people who have never been to Pakistan that i actually feel safer there than i do in Pristine Perth. And i might add find the Pakistanis far more welcoming and less rascist than our own culture. It was cool to see what an awesome time you had there. Thanks for a great blog Michael Dunjey
9th June 2008

woah
joelo your crazy mate! nice beard though cya soon ;)
12th June 2008

Excellent work on the Simpsons quote
Joel, that was absolutely phenomenal. Words cannot describe how I wish i was there, this thought made all the more desirable and unbearable by the fact that im at currently work wasting the day away. In a time when the quality of front page travelblogs is at a saturated low, this is EXACTLY what is needed. Seriously, that was the most captivating blog you've ever written and if you can top that you're a genius.
18th June 2008

diner when you are 50
could it be we met in Pakistan on the NATCO bus?
26th June 2008

amazing
Are you claiming to not even be like pres Clinton who said he smoked pot never inhaled? I like your blog site - did you visit TANK or Gilgat Hospital? Bless ya real good.... Nick
13th July 2008

Excellent travel blog- thoroughly enjoyed it!
26th October 2008

Awesome
Awesome to read about your experience in my country Joel, and having just come back from a bit of a trek myself, I found your views refreshingly honest. Rock on, you just won another Pakistani heart! :)
26th November 2008

Very Interesting
Joel. You have written a fantastic blog. And thanks to you for writing good about my country and in fact thanks to those people who made you write this kind of nice blog for Pakistan. Pakistan Zindabad.
15th February 2010

Im glad Joel that you enjoyed your trip here. And that you can tell the rest of the world what a great country it is, even with the recent terrorism events. They'll die down, hopefully :P. Ive been to the USA, UK, Dubai, Malaysia and China and i can honoustly say there is not a more beautiful place than Pakistan, beaches in the south, below frezzing temperatures and glaciers in the north, few countires have what god has given us. Thanks for the great blog! Feel free to email me if you want.
10th May 2010

extremely cool blog, you've seen pakistan for what it truly is and not how it is portayed..im from the pashtun tribes myself...its a shame you didnt get to see SWAT its a cool place..peshawar is where im from and you actually look like one of us..loving the beard..nice job blending in!! :D
13th June 2010

NOTE
PAKISTAN IS NOT FOR WESTERNERS.
22nd June 2010
Gun Shop in Smuggler's Bazaar

Dear Sir. Our website: www.guncleaningkit.cn We hope that our cleaning brush products you may be interested. Best regards. Mr' John Lin 86-13586751615 Skype: mllamp2006
25th June 2010

Pakistan land of hospitality! Tourist Haven!
^^ @ majid khan : another indian lol pay no attention to these dilutional indians masquerading and writing hateful comments. unfortunately they have a complex against Pakistan and.. well.. for everything.. lol
25th June 2010

Welcome to beauty of Pakistan! Tourist Haven!
Hey Joel, it was wonderful reading your article, im not going to lie, I got a little teary eyed as many of your pictures remind me of my treks in northern Pakistan where I went many a times during highschool and later university. Im glad you had a good time. Alot of people dont know that Pakistan is a tourist haven, the people of Pakistan love tourists and our national culture of hospitality means that you'll be treated and spoiled right to the end! Any plans on coming back soon, as I would recommend visiting the beautiful areas of interior Sindh which is rich in history and monuments as well as travel more extensively in Pakistan's Abbottabad-Monsehra which is great for short treks and if you have the energy, Gilgit-Baltistan for some of the most breathtaking scenery in the world! (Pakistan secret to the world).
2nd August 2010

WOW
SALAM..IM A PAKISTANI MAN AND IM AMAZED TO SEE AN AUSTRALIAN GUY LIKE YOU VISIT PAKISTAN ...GO THROU AND WATCH THE BEAUTIFUL YET SO CALLED DANGEROUS PLACES FOR FOREIGNERS...IM SURE U MUST HAV HAD A FANTASTIC TYME OUT DERE....BRO AWL THE VERY BEST AND LAST BUT NOT THE LEAST THANKU FOR VISITING MY HOMELAND AND PROVING TO UR FELLOW COUNTRYMEN ESPECIALLY AUSSIE CRICKETERS DAT DEY SHD CUM HERE TOO....
20th January 2011

Fascinating
Wow i really enjoyed reading this - i am a 42 year old woman travelling alone to Pakistan later this year. I have friends in Pak and also carry out business there but have not visited yet. Im sure my friends will welcome and protect me but its still a pretty terrifying prospect. Did u meet many women travellin alone? How were they treated? I have never smoked pot either but your descritption of the hashish bar in Lahore is so entertaining I wanna go. Hope u enjoyed the rest of ur travels
30th April 2015

Truly appreciated.
I consider it my duty to thank you for portraying my country in a positive light. You're a wonderful human being and I wish there were more people like you who visited this amazing country and experienced all the stupendous things that we have. Really enjoyed your article. You're a Pakistani at heart. You're a great writer and now I feel compelled to travel all over my country as soon as possible. Thanks again for writing such a great article. I'm going to publicize this everywhere. More people need to know about this. :)

Tot: 0.302s; Tpl: 0.017s; cc: 26; qc: 131; dbt: 0.1642s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb