Faces of Nepal


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal
May 11th 2009
Published: May 15th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Total Distance: 0 miles / 0 kmMouse: 0,0


i could talk about the Gompas and temples,or the beautiful scenery, but it is the people of Nepal that interested me most. i have spent much time just talking to people in local food stalls. everyone just seems so friendly and keen to practice their English.

Nepal is in the middle of a big coup, and things seem quite uncertain at the moment. ever since the kings brother murdered almost the entire royal family there has been no end of trouble.

whilst i was in Kathmandu the president resigned after trying to sack the head of the army. there were big protests and strikes. it seems that now over 70 political parties are fighting for power. i found myself in the middle of a big Maoist (communist) rally, which was pritty surreal.

i went to a fancy resort not too far from the Tibetan border. there i splurged on a months budget to do white water rafting, canyoning and bungy jumping. the 2 days canyoning were incredible - abseiling and sliding down massive waterfalls. the 2 days of white water rafting were just crazy. we kept on crashing and getting stuck on the rocks, and battling against massive rapids. unfortunately we did not capsize like a few other boats (it looked pritty exciting!) im not quite sure how i plucked up enough courage to jump 160m off a bridge over a canyon, but it was one of the scariest things ive done, and those few seconds of freefall were priceless!

i am always meeting new people on my travels (in fact i think ive spent hardly any time alone). i am also on a good budget - eating for 20-60p and getting a room for a quid - India and Nepal is so cheap (although i have been ill quite a lot from dodgy food). i have also really grown to like the food out here.




Additional photos below
Photos: 30, Displayed: 23


Advertisement

motorbikesmotorbikes
motorbikes

crazy ques for petrol due to strikes
maoist rallymaoist rally
maoist rally

i accidently stumbled apon a massive maoist (communist) rally
bungeyyyybungeyyyy
bungeyyyy

im still not quite sure how i convinced myself to jump off


Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0345s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb