Two Nights in Ghandruk


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal
November 29th 2008
Published: December 7th 2008
Edit Blog Post

October 30, 2008 Thursday Ghandruk Day 10



Wrong! It wasn't 1 ½ hours to Ghandruk; it was about 1 ½ hour to Komrong - all uphill after you cross a bridge over a small river. And then, according to Lonely Planet: “a steep climb through a forest on an interminable set of switchbacks” to Komrong. Then it was level or even slightly descending to Ghandruk. It started to rain shortly after we left Kimrong. The switchbacks were unending. It was warm, so we were sweaty inside our ponchos. We were all walking kind at our own paces. Jane and Vim in front, followed by Dave, then Dirga, then me and finally Bruce and Dilman.

We stayed last night at Breezes Guest House. Drank a lot of whiskey with Dilman and a party from Australia - a father with his 24 year old daughter and 26 year old son and their guide and 3 porters. Singing and dancing in honor of the Festival. Bruce took pictures.

We had tea and coffee at 7 a.m. this morning, then Dilman took the four of us to the Old Gurung Museum. It was interesting - very well done with excellent English explanations. Then back to the lodge and goodbyes to Jane, David and Vim. What a fortunate occurrence that we met up with them; it added tremendously to our experience of Nepal. We didn’t want to trek in a large group, and we didn’t have any friends who were able to join us, so we came by ourselves. Jane and Dave quickly became friends; we felt like we had known them for a long time.

Bruce and I talked to Dilman and have decided to take today as a rest day for Bruce’s knees. (We have an extra day in our schedule because we combined our original day 1 and day 2.) Then we can break the longest day (Ghorepani to Tatopani) into 2 days if necessary. If so, we will probably not go to Muktinath due to the long downhill back to Jomsom. This will get us to Jomsom on the right day for our flight and sounds good to us.

We’ve done some laundry and hung it in the lodge’s garden and are now sitting on the patio reading and writing - and drinking tea, of course. It’s sunny with some clouds and a lovely breeze. Three little children are playing and talking near us. The porters (ours and some who just arrived) are playing cards. It is quite peaceful and relaxing.

We just finished lunch - another Spring Roll. I finished my book and then listened to some little kids with garlands around their necks sing. (Reminds me of Trick or Treat at home.) I took some pictures. We walked around and took some more pictures. We had a very relaxing day. Tomorrow we start to trek again - nine more trekking days!

Hope the zoo trip goes well at Morris Head Start. It’s 3 p.m. here - guess it’s only 6 a.m. at home.



Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0337s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb