Final day in Kathmandu before heading off trekking


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu
March 25th 2018
Published: March 25th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Another pretty broken nights sleep, but we’re all starting to feel better adjusted to the time difference.

Woke to the news that the Aussies had tampered with the ball in South Africa. This formed the basis of most of our conversation for the day, alternating between horror that they could be that dumb and disgust at the brazen disregard for good sportsmanship. I may have omitted to mention being half Aussie.

Had breakfast then got a taxi (again a very small Suzuki despite the guys assurance that he had a “big” car) to the temples and cremation area at Pashupatinath.

While it should macabre this is a fascinating insight into the rituals and beliefs of Nepalese Hindus.

This is the Nepal’s most important Hindu temple on the banks of the Bagmati River. Along the river bank are the ghats upon which they build the funeral pyres and carry out the cremations.

There are numerous Sadhus who while supposedly Hindu holy pilgrims appear to be highly painted beggars getting money from tourists in exchange for photographs. Colourful nevertheless.

We spent a bit over an hour watching and wandering amongst the various shrines. Then got the taxi (he waited for us) back to the hotel.

Lunch at Black Olive then we commenced the big pack ready for leaving tomorrow. All went pretty well, notable was the first aid kit Arch and Gordy had (enormous) making my sandwich ziplock look somewhat lacking. All packed away pretty well and so got all sorted for the early morning departure.

We then adjourned back to Black Olive for a beer before dinner.

Stopped at another bar on the way to dinner. On departing noted a lonely iPhone on the table which I pocketed. No prizes for guessing who’s it was!

Dinner at pizza place we’d been to a couple of times on previous trips and again a great meal made all the better by good company and a few laughs.

Again like yesterday the day was pretty cruisey and not a lot to put in here. I’m sure once we get underway there will be far more to put in the blog.


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.032s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.044s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb