Home stay and Nepali language lessons


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Kathmandu » Pashupatinath Temple
October 7th 2008
Published: October 18th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Homestay family, KathmanduHomestay family, KathmanduHomestay family, Kathmandu

This is the family who kindly gave us a room to sleep in, breakfast and dinner for 2 nights. Lovely people who asked us to stay again if we ever come to Nepal again.
Up today at 06:15, have a shower and a cup of tea (with cookies, jam) as first breakfast and then off to Nepalese class across the street. We heard/ learned a lot in short time. Two of Beké’s grand children were present so I practiced my new knowledge on them and oh wonder, they understood my question and answered it. After class back for breakfast (Dahlbat). Then back to GVI headquarters on foot for a briefing for today. On the way there I saw, for the first time in my life an offering of a goat. Right alongside the road, they chopped off the head and captured the blood. Won’t forget that sight ever…

We had our briefing and went to Patan in a bus. Patan is another part of the city of Kathmandu (used to be a different kingdom in the old days, Kathmandu had several). The trip to Patan showed us a much richer part of Kathmandu. In Patan we visited another World Heritage Site, Patan Durbar Square. Unbelievable ancient buildings there! Amazing woodcarvings and one of the temples was created out of one solid rock. Before the square was built (bit by bit) the square used to be one big rock. Bought a little gift for our host family with the help of our guide Dinesh (he bargained for us because we had no knowledge of the local prices). Again massive amount of other dealers to deal with. After the square off to the most important Hindu (and Buddhist) temple in Nepal; Pashupatinath. Saw a few Holymen there but didn’t take their picture. The site is also used for cremations at the bank of the river, we witnessed one from a discrete distance. After that back to Thamel for a late lunch and some shopping for rain clothes (again Dinesh helped us with the pricing ;-)). Megan bought a jacket and pants and I bought a poncho (hopefully that is enough), primarily for our trekking days. Then we joined Raymond in buying a game of Nepalese chess that he had been playing with his host. The game is a cross between checkers and chess. It has a board with connected lines on it (in a square as well as a cross) and four tiger pieces and 20 goat pieces. The goal is for the tigers to ‘eat’ at least four goats before the goats locked the tigers in. We played this also and we are going to buy a game as a late birthday gift for my dad. We saw a few flutes (great sound, if you can play on it ;-)) so far and because I always try to bring back a small musical instrument from a country I’ve been we decided to try to buy one of those. OK, back to the trip. We had another briefing over the rest of our stay in Nepal. Tomorrow we will hear were we are going to be stationed. So back to our host families for diner (Dalbhat with goatmeat) and another chat with the family. Then to our rooms to pack the bags for the next couple off days.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



Tot: 0.091s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 50; dbt: 0.061s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb