Thame to Khumjung


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Himalayas
October 21st 2012
Published: October 22nd 2012
Edit Blog Post

Thame to Khumjung
This morning after breakfast we got our gear on then walked over to Lakpa's parents house. They had tea waiting for us. His parents are 78 and 75 which is amazing for here. The average life expectancy in Nepal is 66, we have been told. The houses here have a bottom level that house the animals and their fuel, either wood or Yak dung. The upstairs is usually one large room or possibly two with one being the kitchen. They also have a area for prayer. They are surprise lay comfortable feeling. Lakpa's father blessed us each with a prayer flag. Their great grandson was there visiting. I think his name was Tenzing. His father was killed on The Khumbu Ice fall on Everest two years ago. That was not the first one we've heard about. Two of Lakpa's cousins sons hiked in with us the first two days, their father was killed two years ago also. We had a snack at their house yesterday. Our hike today was 13 km or about 8 miles. Most was up and down, then through a beautiful pine forest. After really getting used to the gradual walk we were suddenly jarred out of our contentment with a hour of steep uphill. Oh boy, they aren't getting any easier! Once on top we came straight down into the town of Khumjung. A large village in a huge valley with great views of Ama Dablam. It's a spectacular peak here that's very difficult to climb. I will have many pictures of this...just wait. Internet is too slow to post pics, so I'll have to wait.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.199s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0344s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb