Himalayas - Day 4


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Himalayas
March 3rd 2001
Published: November 28th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Outside Bhandar, NepalOutside Bhandar, NepalOutside Bhandar, Nepal

Thomas sports his famously over-packed backpack which includes about 75 lbs of camera equipment.
Well, compared to the Sikkim trek, the lower altitudes and more agreeable temperatures are "warming" me up to being here. It's quite a difference when you can comfortably sit outdoors. Some of the lodges even have hot water and electricity! This is luxury. No drafty huts. More chai stands and villages along the way than you could possibly need. I admit, this is not too bad. Some of the treks are long and steep but the mountain scenery is magnificent.


Thomas and Marina are quite fun. Marina is all of 5 feet tall and carries a backpack about 7 feet tall. With her trekking sticks clicking along like knitting needles, she really MOVES and is always in the front of the pack. Of course, so is Mike. Thomas is about 6'5" and is always slower. Could it be his 300 lb pack? We picked up an Australian guy, Ashley, fresh from home right to Nepal.


"Leslie," he said, "this just isn't what I pictured trekking to be" as we're climbing up 1000 meters in one afternoon. But it's always those weird unexpected things that make the trip memorable, huh? Like the 5 of us stopping in Kenja
Somewhere up there...Somewhere up there...Somewhere up there...

... a Dutchman, two Germans, an Australian and two Americans are making their way through the Himalayas.
where the new lodge owner couldn't stop giggling like a schoolgirl. I think we were his first foreign customers ever. And me getting so sick that I couldn't hike the rest of the day, so Mike and I sent the others on and got a room in 4-house village. And the didi here, watching me puke, asking "want soup?"


Last night's dream: Clothes shopping


A few days later and we caught up with everyone in Junbesi. Funny rhythm to things, hiking. We keep encountering the same people. Others hear news about us before we even arrive! Ashley is funny, too - a little quiet and he speaks very fast. The Germans must understand about 10% of what he says. But I think he's loosening up around us. He's also a fine physical example of a handsome 31-year old Australian. I consider it a treat to have him in front of me when he bends to rub his knees.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb