Bhaktapur


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Bhaktapur
December 27th 2014
Published: December 27th 2014
Edit Blog Post

I decided to take a day trip out of the city of Kathmandu, not because I felt it has nothing else to offer but just for a change of scenery.
Bhaktapur was originally the capital of the country and as is refered to as the culture capital of Nepal. On first arrival it apperared to be very much the same as Kathmandu but the city itself has a very different feel. Kathmandu is very much like London in that the streets are overcrowded and the roads are busy and noisy, Bhaktapur is much quieter and feels much more relaxed and tranquil. The air was much cleaner than the heavily polluted Kathmandu and crossing the road was no longer a terrifying experience.

The main attration is their Durbar square, not quite as famous as the one in Patan, Kathmandu, but just as impressive. The city is situated on a hill and the position where you live on the hill reflects your social class. right at the bottom of the hill there is more of a farming community and some very basic housing, many people don't have running water so they wash in water from local fountains. only in this area did there seem to be an abundance of litter in the streets and in the river, unlike Kathmandu most of the city was quite clean.

The top of the hill is where you will find the main attractions and tourist areas, there are a number of pagodas and temples and the local people still continue with their traditional crafts. It was a pleasant experience to be removed from the chaotic hustle of Kathmandu and I look forward to my next expedition out of the city


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.076s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0362s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb