Dipesh's story of trekking and avalanche


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Bhaktapur
June 25th 2012
Published: June 25th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Dipesh works as a guide for trekkers but because of a bad experience, he wanted to stop trekking. He was leading a group up a peak at Annapurna. A lone Swiss trekker came along with just a porter. He was going very fast and he asked if he can pass Dipesh and his group. Without thinking, Dipesh let him pass. As the Swiss guy was going pretty fast, he eventually went very far ahead of them. All of a sudden, an avalanche came and swallowed up the Swiss guy and his porter. Dipesh became too scared to continue and another very experienced trekker led them through the peak and down the other side. They radioed base camp and a rescue team came and found the bodies 4 hours later. Dipesh blamed himself for what happened because as a guide, he knew that it was a dangerous spot where one must go slowly and test every step before moving on. One must go slowly so as not to cause an avalanche. Dipesh felt that he should have informed the Swiss trekker before letting him pass. I thought that thank god he was far ahead enough not to have also killed Dipesh and his group.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.142s; Tpl: 0.008s; cc: 13; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0879s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb