Annapurna Circuit Trek


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Annapurna
May 12th 2009
Published: May 13th 2009
Edit Blog Post

We left Timang this morning hoping for better weather, but alas, it was not to be. There were some breaks in the clouds early on, but then they closed in for good and it drizzled on and off all day. As we continued to increase in elevation, it naturally got colder too. On the plus side, this meant that I didn't sweat so much in my rain gear. On the down side, gaiters and shorts were barely keeping my legs warm enough by the end of the day. We covered a lot of ground today and made it to Lower Pisang for the night which put us back on schedule. Sadly, we lost Lee, Seo, and their guide Pasang. Lee was having pain in his chest, likely from the altitude and so they were taking it slow to see how he did and were likely going to stay in Chame, only two hours from Timang.

There was nothing too terribly exciting about today's hike. We caught a glimpse of Manaslu in the morning before the clouds rolled in. We had lunch in Chame, the capital of the Manang district. You could find just about anything you wanted in Chame, and I splurged on a Mars bar (Milky Way) and a can of Pringles. There was also very large prayer wheel in a gompa as well as a water powered prayer wheel that was not working.

This evening turned out to be a lot of fun. The dining hall of the lodge was upstairs and had a wood stove. Given how cold it was, all the trekkers and guides were huddled around it for warmth. Matt the British doctor who I had met two days earlier was there as well as Bernard, a former Frenchman from Strausborg who had lived in Australia for the past 35 years. Later, Collette and Marco, a Swiss couple, joined the group. After dinner, Matt got us all into a game of cards. Meeting all these different trekkers from various countries has been as much fun as the trek itself and meeting the Nepalis.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Stuffed yak, Lower Pisang, NepalStuffed yak, Lower Pisang, Nepal
Stuffed yak, Lower Pisang, Nepal

This stuffed yak was in a hotel entrance in Lower Pisang and this was as close as I ever got to a yak.


13th May 2009

Wonderful journey
Dan: Glad the trek is going well and you are making lots of new friends. Your descriptions of the trek are great. Can't wait to see the pictures. What was the name of the village you spent the night after passing through Chame?

Tot: 0.13s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0582s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb