Annapurna Circuit


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Annapurna
October 26th 2005
Published: October 26th 2005
Edit Blog Post

Hey there my family, friends and whoever else feels like reading.

Well I have just gotten back from the Annapurna Circuit. The first hot shower and steak was fantastic. For those of you who have not heard of this it's a trek that is approxiamately 220km to 2250km in length that takes you around the Annapurna mountains and many other mountains within the Himalaya Mountain Range.

The trek took a total of 14 days commencing at Besisishar, trekking anti-clockwise, finishing in Beni. We had 1 rest day in a villiage called Manang, which is at an altitutde of 3,600m. It was recommneded that we stop here to acclimatise to the altitude. On our rest day we climbed a small hill which took us up to the base of the Gangapurna Glacier and Lake. There is a tea house up the top and really nice for lunch. (By the way, the food on the circuit is really quite yummy, which is a bonus when you need to eat lots of it) There was lots to do here, such as movies, small walks, lots of cafes, restaurants and play with the local kids. This sounds like it would be my favourite place, but not so - I like the smaller villages, where all there is, is a tea house, the view, a book or cards and chats with other trekkers - kids are always good to have.

Favourite places along the trek were Tatopani, where there are hot springs, a kiosk that sells beer, chips and other little bits and pieces that a trekker may need. They also have a little flaxed room along the river where you can get a massage thats starts at 500 rupees ($10 Aus dollars) for an hour. What you get them down to is your choice. I loved Danygu, Letdar. I think this was beacause I met some really nice people there and had a cpuple of great nights. Another place that had it's own sort of quality is High Camp 4800m, which is a place that you stay at prior to going over the Thurong La Pass 5416m. When we arrived at High Camp it was snowing, there was only one room to get something to eat. We arrived at lunch time and there was nothing to do but eat, place cards and get to know all the other trekkers from all over the world.

We decided to get up earlier than planned due to the weather. We got up at 3.30am Thursday 20th Oct, had the good old faithfull poridge that had been getting me through till morning tea everyday. We left at about 4.15am. Half way up the pass, Deb was suffering badly due to 50% oxygen in the air and I was suffering from the cold. Every 4 steps we stopped for about 10 secs. It took us about 4 hours from High Camp to the top of the Pass. Just before the top of the pass the the storm got really bad and it was a struggle to find the top but we eventually made it. It took a further 6 hours to get down to Muktanath, 3800m. Sadly on that day a group of climbers have not been located from attempting to climb a small mountian, due to an Avallanche.

The rest of the trek was through snow, rain and some sunshine. They have not have snow like that at that time for 9 years. Power lines were down all the way back to Beni from the snow.

We had a guide and a porter. I really don't think I could have done the trek without the Porter, although many were. If I was to do the trek again, I would not take a guide as It is a trail that you cannot get lost in and if you go in the peak tourist season there would be so many people around it would be near impossible to get lost. They say that with a guide, you learn more about the country, yeah thats if your English speaking guide can speak english, which ours struggled with.

Pokhara is a great place to end your trek and start your trek. You can totally bypass the rat race of Kathmandu if you please. It is very relaxed and could stay longer than a couple of days.

On the 28th October we are rafting down to the Chitwan National Park, which is part of the Nepalese Jungle. We are in search of Tigers, they believe there is a 1/100 chance of seeing one.

Till next time, love to you all, bye bye



Advertisement



Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0398s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb