another side of Nepal


Advertisement
Asia » Nepal » Annapurna
September 25th 2005
Published: September 28th 2005
Edit Blog Post

I've just returned from a fast round of the Annapurna Circuit. It is an amazing hike around a series of high mountain peaks. In good weather it would be simply mind-blowing. As it was, even with the romantic, cloudy, misty weather, it was lovelier than I can describe. But i'll try. The Annapurnas are a range of mountains which come near to the Tibetan border and which bring you right to the r... Read Full Entry



Photos are below
Photos: 68, Displayed: 21


Advertisement

mes beauxmes beaux
mes beaux

Two charming French lads I accosted on Day 1, joining them off and on during the hike around the Annapurnas. Resourceful and funny, they were welcome additions to a great hike.
the mysterious buckwheatthe mysterious buckwheat
the mysterious buckwheat

For a long time, my hiking companions and I wondered what was this prolific pink-red plant. I never supposed it was buckwheat but it is. So now i know.
MarphaMarpha
Marpha

After the effort of Thorong La, and the winds between Muktinath and Marpha, a day of leisure around Marpha was very welcome. From behind the messy network of alleys, trails lead up the mountains. Heading towards old Marpha, I mistakenly went too high (hard to stop) and finished looking down upon old Marpha. Marvelling at the views of bush-covered and snow-capped mountains all around, a large eagle glided close over my head, its massive wingspan simply awesome.
apple picsapple pics
apple pics

The Marpha region is well abundant with fruit trees, mainly apples. I visited the Temperate Horticulture Development Center, aka Marpha Farm, to admire the 42 or so varieties of apple trees. The director there told me a little about the farmers and technicians, all local, who work there. It was a project begun with the help of foreign expertise but passed on to Nepali management. They are still consulting with foreign experts about going completely organic, as the farm now still uses pesticides to combat various pests. The many apples are transported around Nepal as well as exported to India. The farm also grows 7 or so different vegetables. Hence, the Marpha region has some of the best food along the trail, and certainly the most apple dessert and drink creations.
convincing charmerconvincing charmer
convincing charmer

Just outside of Marpha, a Tibetan settlement supports 190 people who live in tidy stone houses. A school teacher told that their main problem is a result of low tourism, on which they depend to sell their wares. Later, after trying some strong Tibetan "beer" again just to be sure i still didn't like it, I gave in to the tea-shop owner's suggestions that i buy something. He sold me some metal rings and charms, at a total of about $10, probably much more than they cost but still so little for me, so much for him.
porters packporters pack
porters pack

Look carefully at the size of the backspace compared to the entire load. Despite scientific explanations of Nepalis physiology, it remains baffling the amount porters can support.



27th September 2005

Wonderful photos!!! Your M and Dad are leaving for California today. I am still here in Fergus but lots of news, keep looking!!!
28th September 2005

GREAT WORK!
Well done - great photos! Keep it up.

Tot: 0.083s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0467s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb