Annapurna Circuit Trek Day 13 - 16


Advertisement
Nepal's flag
Asia » Nepal » Annapurna
May 8th 2007
Published: August 7th 2007
Edit Blog Post

We did it! 10 hours! We did it! 10 hours! We did it! 10 hours!

We can barely stand in this photo...
This blog by Jacqui:

Trek summary: Walking time indicates hours walking not including breaks

Day 13: 2hr 25 mins MARPHA (2670m/8760 ft) via Tukuche, Kobang to LARJUNG (2550m/8336 ft)

Day 14: Gruelling 10 hrs! DHAULAGIRI ICE FALL DAY TRIP. LARJUNG (2550m/8336 ft) to base of DHAULAGIRI ICE FALL (3900m/ 12,800ft)

Day 15: 5 hrs 15 mins LARJUNG (2550m/8336 ft) via Kokhethanti, Dhampu, Kalopani, Lete, Ghasa to RUPSE CHHAHARA (1600m/5249ft)

Day 16: 4 hrs 45 mins RUPSE CHHAHARA (1600m/5249ft) via Dana, Guithe to TATOPANI (1190m/3904ft) for lunch. TATOPANI (1190m/3904ft) via Ghara to SIKHA (2000m/6562ft)

After our rest day in Marpha we made our way to Larjung, an easy short walk, and despite the lack of enthusiasm by our guide and porter we decide to tackle a side day trip to Dhaulagiri Ice Fall. Could the lack of enthusiasm be the fact that they don't want to walk for 10 hours and gain 1200m/4000 ft in vertical elevation in one day? Perhaps, but regardless we decide that the views back over the Kali Gandaki to the Annapurnas may outweigh the these factors...

It is a grueling 10 hour day (8-hours of trekking) to the base of
very cool town of Jharkotvery cool town of Jharkotvery cool town of Jharkot

just below Muktinath
the worlds 7th highest peak. (This day ends up rivaling the hike over the Thorung La pass). We set out early and hike up cliffs in white-out fog, scramble up death defying ravines, come face to face with an angry wild yak, find the lost trails and have brief but spectacular views of Nilgiri and Annapurna I peaking out of the sunshine and framed by passing clouds. In good weather this side-trip would be one of the most incredible days of the Annapurna circuit offering the most spectacular views. For us, despite being unlucky with the weather, it was truly an epic day and worth every grueling step.

From Largung we descended almost 1000 m in one day and are back in the heat of the low mountains - we have left the cool alpine climate for the humidity of the foothills. We stay at Rupse Lodge with gorge views, a quaint garden and the best popcorn on the circuit. Leaving Rupse Chhahara we pass through more marijuana fields and the Kali Gandaki gorge and re-enter civilization - the roads are much more developed and so are the communities with schools for the local children. In order to avoid hiking in the midday sun we break in Tatopani which translates to mean "hot water" and enjoy a long break over brunch. Tatopani is a popular trekking stop on the circuit with clean fresh hot springs to relieve the aching legs.

We decide to push on in spite of the heat (and a virus infiltrating my immune system) in an attempt to outhike the ominous clouds that are forming. We are one quarter the way through our steep 3 hour climb along the terraced cliffs and lush forest to Sikha, when we are caught in hail and pouring rain. We shelter for an hour in a little tea house with the locals and other trekkers and smile and try to communicate. This part of the trek offers spectactular views back down the valley with Dhaulagiri and Nilgiri rising above. It's been a long day of trekking and we welcome the delicious dal baat at the Mona Lisa Guest House in Sikha.

Recommendations:

The little town above Larjung has some of the most spectacular valley/mountain views

Do the Dhauligiri hike - it is the main reason we want to come back to the Annapurnas (to do it on a sunny day)

Rupse lodge has the best popcorn, ever






Additional photos below
Photos: 26, Displayed: 24


Advertisement

Face to face with an angry wild Yak!Face to face with an angry wild Yak!
Face to face with an angry wild Yak!

On the way to Dhaulagiri Ice Fall in white out fog... our guide assures us we will be gored if he charges
3900 m/ 12,800 Ft  HIGH3900 m/ 12,800 Ft  HIGH
3900 m/ 12,800 Ft HIGH

Almost to the top of Dhaulagiri Ice Fall


15th August 2007

Beautiful
Thanks for sharing such breath taking views with the public, you guys take great pictures. Didn't realize how beautiful Nepal is outside of KTM. Thanks for kindling a desire to travel in general, and to explore my birth place.
4th May 2008

Love the AC posts!
Hi, We came across your blog and just wanted to let you know that we love your posts on Annapurna! We're heading out on the trek on Tuesday and will be taking your notes with us - very helpful. Thanks for writing it all up - it was great to find and we're really looking forward to the trip.
3rd June 2008

obtain photo
Hi - I am interested in obtaining a high res image of one of your photos - the fresh seabuckthorn juice one from Anaupurna. I will be happy to compensate you for it. Great photos! you can email me at sbarrie@mac.com
16th October 2008

Simply splendid stuff....
Well done on narrating this great walk so clearly and with such detail. You have shared so much, thank you. Your comments about the Dhaulagiri visit are spot on. Perhaps your next trip will be the Dhaulagiri circuit including Hidden Valley. However, it is a camping trip and takes in some dangerous and exposed places at high altitudes. Your story of Claire's misfortune is indicative of the seriousness that journeys like this can present. That said, the Dhaulagiri circuit is both a great adventure and has equally stunning mountain scenery. I am off to do the AC next week; having joined it at Marpha from the Hidden Valley route last time. Your blog is really exciting to read and confirms my decision to re-visit the area and complete the whole circuit. I am selfishly concerned about the road building and the changes that I will see in the Marpha/Tatapani area, but must acknowledge the benefits to the local population. Great stuff, accurate and with good detail on times and places. Best wishes for your future next journeys. Andy C

Tot: 0.047s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0265s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb