Khovd


Advertisement
Mongolia's flag
Asia » Mongolia
October 14th 2007
Published: November 26th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Spent five days travelling around the aimag (province) of Khovd. Went to see the Khoomi singers who are situated in a small area of the aimag called, Chandamani.

The Lonely Planet doesn't really give any details on the area, so I rocked upped knowing i was going to Khoomi but was not sure what else there was in the area. Found so many rock carving, when to a cave that did have cave paintings of Mammoths, but unfortunately their was only one painting of a camel. The rest were covered in grafetti or as my guide called it peoples tomb stones. There are also deer stone, but I went looking for the Wall of Chinngis Khan, it doesn't exist, I'm told by three locals that it never existed. The only theory we could come up with is that there is an ancient water channel situated where the wall is meant to be.

Spent two days out in the country slept in a nomads gur, got back to the city and the next morning was woken up by a ceremony going on in the square outside next to the hotel.

Mongolia is amazing and amazingly difficult to get around.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.077s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.0309s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb