Ulaanbaatar


Advertisement
Mongolia's flag
Asia » Mongolia » Ulaanbaatar
October 9th 2012
Published: October 10th 2012
Edit Blog Post

I woke to a heavy frost and a few snow flakes in the air. After a very cold night in the ger it was time to pack up and leave for the capital city Ulaanbaatar. I said my goodbyes including the horse master who was still texting, spitting and smoking all at the same time.

The ger camp had been a great experience. Nassa estimated that at least 70% of the population still live in gers. She lives in a ger with her husband but complained that they had little space, probably because they have a 42" LCD tv that he watches the premiership on and a front loading washing machine (she was very proud of her television).

The drive to the city was bumpy and slow and seemed to take an age. The great views and fresh air was quickly replaced with a scene that resembled downtown Baghdad at times. There are crumbling buildings from the Soviet era in one street yet in another new buildings and new construction well underway. Nothing seems finished off, properly filled in or fully cleared up.

Once booked into the hotel Nassa took us to the Gandan Monastery. This temple survived the communist's purge to destroy all monasteries in the 1930's but was kept as an example of how backward the Buddhists were. The area is swamped with pigeons and encouraged by over feeding by visitors. Seed is sold by little old ladies at the gates on the Monastery. Nassa explained the significance of the pigeons but I predict they will be eradicated in ten years, very unpleasant!

The newly elected communist party have pledged to build a significant monument to rival great statues around the world. The monument will be a spiritual female figure covered in gold leaf and will be 54 meters high, dwarfing the 34 meter Christ the Redeemer monument in Rio. Her feet have been cast and are on already on public display.

As we left the Aussie sisters walked ahead. Soon they were being followed by two pickpockets, one with a knife ready to slash at their belongings. A few choice internationally recognised words soon had them scuttling off and disappearing up a side street. Ulaanbaatar is not as friendly or as comfortable as other places I have been so far and I was content with staying in the hotel for the rest of the evening.

The hotel is hosting the inter Asia weight lifting championships, there are some big ladies and gents about. I am on the twelfth floor of the hotel and have avoided sharing the lift just in case we break down due to overweight issues. I will be up early for breakfast as I can imagine the carbohydrates this lot will be consuming!


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



10th October 2012

HOW MANY TRIPS ON THE MOTOR BIKE TO FILL THE WASHING MACHINE??????????
I thought it was a photo of you in the floppy hat on the mountain path but on closer inspection discovered it's probably "Peking Pete." The washing machine and 42 inch T.V. are confusing me - I was feeling so sorry for the lady when she finished your dinner up but maybe that was for effect and she had another horse already prepared in the freezer for her next guests. Glad you enjoyed the 4 star experience. You always enjoyed the little luxuries of life and that must have been an experience. Have you booked a fortnight for next year's holiday or decided on a staycation? Almost halfway through your trip so you can eat all your food up as you must be getting nearer civilisation. Really look forward to your Blobs everyday so keep them coming. Our love

Tot: 0.366s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 8; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0892s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb