5 Tips on How to Save Money in Maldives


Advertisement
Maldives' flag
Asia » Maldives
October 24th 2022
Published: October 24th 2022
Edit Blog Post

The Maldives is well known as a stunning, exotic, yet pretty expensive destination.

There's no way around it: if you want the whole experience, you need to accept the fact that it will cost you a bit. In fact, the average cost of a Maldives vacation can be well over a few thousand dollars.

But that doesn't mean there aren't any ways to save money in Maldives . Here are the 5 best tips on how to do that.

01. Skip the resorts and go local




Resorts in the Maldives are notoriously expensive and while they are an important part of the Maldives experience, if you don't mind missing out on them, you will be able to save quite a bit of money by booking your accommodation on one of the local islands. However, do be aware that because the Maldives is a Muslim country, you will face some restrictions (for example there's no alcohol on the local islands).

02. Book your flight well in advance




Honestly, this is a great tip for any trip you are planning, but it's even more important when you want to visit a destination like the Maldives, that's famous as a honeymoon destination. So make sure you are booking your flights early on in order to score some good deals.

03. Visit out of season




The Maldives has 2 main seasons: dry and rainy. While the dry season is also the high season when prices rise through the roof, during the wet season there aren't nearly as many tourists, so prices tend to be way lower. But do be aware that this comes at a price, more precisely it rains a lot during the off-season.

04. Book a hotel close to the airport or one that offers free transportation




While some resorts include transportation from the airport in their room rate or they offer it complimentary, most don't. And the cost can be substantial especially if you need to take a seaplane flight to reach the hotel.

Besides for some resorts you might need to take a combination of domestic flight/seaplane and boat ride. So you should be aware of how much transportation to the resort is gonna cost before booking your room. Or you can avoid paying extra if you book a hotel that's close to the airport.

05. Get a meal plan




Food and drinks are very expensive on the islands and given their remote location this is somewhat understandable. You can usually get a better deal if you book a room that has a meal plan included. You can often choose between breakfast, half board, full board, and all-inclusive.

My recommendation is half-board, meaning you get breakfast and dinner included. That's because during lunch you might find yourself eager to do other activities like snorkeling, swimming or laying on the beach.



Hopefully, these tips were helpful in getting you excited about your trip to the Maldives without breaking the bank! Saving money doesn’t mean you have to skimp on enjoying yourself – there are plenty of ways to do both. Do some research in order to know what to expect before going to the Maldives, plan ahead and be mindful of your spending and you’ll be sure to have a great time without going over budget.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.171s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0421s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb