Maldives Resort


Advertisement
Maldives' flag
Asia » Maldives
December 19th 2021
Published: December 19th 2021
Edit Blog Post

Napoleon said "A picture is worth a thousand words" so this blog will be mostly pictures with just little bit of background. After finishing the live aboard snorkel cruise of the Maldives, we went to an all-inclusive resort called Sun Island (#sunisland). As with many places there are many good things and a few not so good things. Amongst the good things were our room. We especially liked the bathroom with its indoor shower AND an outdoor shower and the back porch with its own private pool and a view of the ocean. On the not so good list was the food; granted it was a huge buffet but what they did not tell us was most of the supplemental restaurants were closed. Interestingly the staff ran the gamut from outstanding customer service to waiters who took a break while we waited to get a drink. The best part for us was the activities. We snorkeled on the nearby reef almost daily, I learned to sail, John got multiple foot rubs from the Spa and we both went scuba diving four times. We had anticipated sitting around reading our books but we were so busy we rarely got a chance.
Our Private PoolOur Private PoolOur Private Pool

This seemed like a good idea but it had no shade so we did not spend much time laying by this pool.



I have titled and explained each of pictures...I hope you enjoy them.


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement

Angel FishAngel Fish
Angel Fish

Q: Why are fish so smart? A: They are always in schools!
Beth the apprentice sailorBeth the apprentice sailor
Beth the apprentice sailor

I took about 9 hours of sailing lessons while I was here. The longest sail took us about five miles across the ocean to see spinner dolphins so named because they regularly jump out of the water and spin on their axis. I saw them do that but did not have a camera.
The first of four fish Beth caughtThe first of four fish Beth caught
The first of four fish Beth caught

#1 was this little fellow. I did not actually catch him...the man standing next to me threw my line in the water and had this fish within seconds...I thought he was joking. #2 and #3 were probably similar fish but as I was reeling them in, sharks got them. #4 was a eating size Emperor Sweet Lips. I had it for dinner and it was tasty.
Sea TurtleSea Turtle
Sea Turtle

We saw sea turtles on multiple occasions and it was always special.
Manta RaysManta Rays
Manta Rays

They are about 10 feet wide and "fly" gracefully through the water. These two are from a group of four we saw.
John on BikeJohn on Bike
John on Bike

Although the island is only about a mile long, it seems like we are always walking somewhere. So we rented bikes for the week and they took us everywhere.
Pool (with water)Pool (with water)
Pool (with water)

The main pool was rather noisy but it did have the advantage of waiters walking around to bring us drinks.
pool (wtth cue sticks)pool (wtth cue sticks)
pool (wtth cue sticks)

We played pool several evenings before dinner. None of us should give up our day jobs to make a living out of playing pool.
Black Top and Bottom FishBlack Top and Bottom Fish
Black Top and Bottom Fish

This fish was unusual because it has one fin on top and one on the bottom.
Reef SharkReef Shark
Reef Shark

Seems like I am always seeing the tail end of the shark (like in this picture) although there was one time when I looked down and there was one of these sharks less than two feet below me.
Spotted Unicorn FishSpotted Unicorn Fish
Spotted Unicorn Fish

Easy to understand why they call it a Unicorn fish.
Whale SharkWhale Shark
Whale Shark

This is the biggest fish in the ocean and is called a whale shark. The largest one measured was 60+ feet. We estimate this one was 25 feet long. That is me laid end to end 4 1/2 times.
Bat FishBat Fish
Bat Fish

Whoops, not a fish, just a fruit bat we saw eating his lunch while we ate ours.


19th December 2021

Have a safe trip home!
It looks like a good trip was had by all. Thank you for sharing.

Tot: 0.192s; Tpl: 0.033s; cc: 8; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0596s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb