Final Day in the Maldives


Advertisement
Maldives' flag
Asia » Maldives » Ari Atoll
November 13th 2012
Published: November 13th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Here we are on the final day of Fun Island. Not my name for the place, I'm guessing it must have been one of the first resorts in the Maldives, and they were looking for something to catch the english tourists. That being said, it has been fun here. The resort itself is rather spartan, but all we were looking for was white sand and clear, near 80F, water. I was telling Penny the other day, if anyone asks her about the water temperature, tell them its about the same as the feeling you get in your shorts just after you pee in the ocean. Not the relief part, just the heat part. This place is loaded with Russians and Chinese. There have been a few other nationalities, but for the most part, that's been the mix for our 50 or so rooms here on the island. We have had some really wicked rain in the evenings, and the tin roof seems like its ready to collapse, but once the sun starts to rise, all the clouds burn off and we have the blue sky till sunset. We have had only 2 really nice sunsets here, as the clouds on the horizon have blocked our view most days. Penny has had lots of fun chasing the sharks in the swimming lagoon. She brought her goggles so the search for fish has been easy for her. As clear as the water is, there's a breeze here coming off the ocean, so the water is never really still. The food has been standard buffet, nothing out of the ordinary. There is a mix of western and indian most nights, and then some italian to mix it up. We haven't bothered venturing off the island as we did a city tour last time we were here and the waves did not look too inviting for snorkeling. They are not big waves, but enough to be a bother. There are some colourful fish just off shore, nothing like we might see at a reef, but good enough for the appetite we have. The bar has been our source for wifi since we have arrived as they do not have it in our room. The bar is wide open, so the breeze blows through and we have a great view of the ocean from here. The sun is hot as soon as it comes up in the morning and the air keeps the heat even as the evening comes. Of course, for those of you that know Penny, the temperature has not stopped her from using 2 layers of clothing as well as the hoodie we bought in Paris. So, we have one more swim left in us, two more meals, and then its pack and prepare for tomorrow morning. We will be leaving the resort around 6am and heading off to the airport for another day of transit. Our destination is still a mystery for Penny, but she might not have much of a guess as it is a very small airport and I don't think there will be too many destinations to choose from. Let's see if we can get another curve past her!


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



14th November 2012

Next stop
We are waiting to see where your next stop is going to be. Sounds like you had a good time in the Maldives. It has warmed up here. We had a nice visit with the Lisks.

Tot: 0.117s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 10; qc: 48; dbt: 0.075s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb