The Baileys in the Maldives


Advertisement
Maldives' flag
Asia » Maldives » Ari Atoll
July 30th 2012
Published: July 30th 2012
Edit Blog Post

Yesterday was stunningly hot - the breeze of the last few days disappeared and the whole atoll and island was becalmed. The sea was like a mill pond and the visibility in the water was terrific with views of Surgeonfish, Cornetfish, Wrasse and Unicorn fish crystal clear.

We decided to go on a Donhi in the evening to watch the sunset and search for dolphins. A Donhi is a Madivian boat - wooden up to 50 feet long originally sail powered now motored. With a carved prow and stern with flags astern. We set out across the atoll to the neighbouring islands about 5pm local time. The ocean was astonishingly still and calm and the colour of a deep blue sapphire.

Within an hour we had seen dolphins -just a few swimming close by - Dhoni's skipper dropped the engine and we floatedtowards the dolphins. The scene was magical - complete silence - no breath of a breeze - the quiet punctuated only by the sound of the dolphins breaking the surface.

We followed the dolphins as they swam between the reefs and the islands - absolutely magical and entrancing. As the sun set the light on the water changed and the dolphins swam in the sparkled reFlections on the surface of the ocean.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.092s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0517s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb